Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-14-2015, 05:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Second Nature Whisper Power Filter not pumping?

Hey guys, so i set up my first aquarium today, and i put together the filter, watched countless videos on how to set up DIFFERENT filters (since i cant find info on this brand ANYWHERE), and it appears i've set it up correctly, the impeller spins, the motor runs, however, when i put it in the water, it doesn't pump. No water comes up the tube whatsoever, and when i take the tube off, the impeller doesnt even visually circulate (bubble) the water at all. Is my motor shot? This is my aunt's from when she was my age... 20 years ago. She's used it since then, but i'm not sure how long ago. I've poured water in the back for hours, let it run, poured water in, let it run, and still nothing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1 (30).JPG
Views:	30
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	273731   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2 (28).JPG
Views:	27
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	273732  

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3 (26).JPG
Views:	34
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	273733   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 5 (27).JPG
Views:	32
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	273734  

jmack.may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 06:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Being that old its hard to say, and since you can't find info on it then replacement parts may be out of the equation.

Can you hear the motor spinning? You should be able to.

Check that the impeller is free and inserted all the way into the motor housing. Check for cracks or stress on the siphon tube or a bad seal if its a two piece tube.

If you still can't get it going many filters can be purchased for $25.

TMRC Exotics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 11:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award
I remember using those in the 80s. Very almost retro.
How much water are you pouring into it? Is it more than in the last pic? The impeller area needs to be under the water level in order to effectively pull air/water through the intake tube. Also, the knob for the flow adjuster appears to be broken/missing. Not sure if it will be a problem aside from flow control unless it allows air to leak into the intake.
I had another brand of HOB filter where the impeller would vibrate but not rotate. I could not salvage it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
I am an ALGAE farmer.
Terms of Service | Community Rules | FresH2O's Planted Tank | Fresh2o's Shrimp Tank
Fresh2o is offline   Reply With Quote

filter, pump, whisper

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com