Seeding filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CupcakeSmith

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a marineland biowheel on my 55 gallon and I've been wanting to switch it to a fluval aquaclear filter. But they use two different types of media so how would I be able to seed my existing BB to the new filter so I wouldn't put my tank through a new cycle process. My marineland has been having a few issues lately and now is buzzing non stop so I am about ready to toss is out the window. XD

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Here's what your going to do.. get you a snazzy new ac 70 and run it tandem with the bio wheel for a couple weeks, than remove the filter pad from old filter and cut it apart to remove all the carbon, rinse in tank water and fit what you can in the ac, after a month the ac should be good. if running tandem isn't a viable option than cram old filter floss into new and float the bio wheel for a couple weeks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have an ac 50 on the other side I just added a couple of weeks ago so I wouldn't be able to run it at the same time but i will do the latter option! Thank you so much!!!

Probably Not Even Necessary

...how would I be able to seed my existing BB to the new filter so I wouldn't put my tank through a new cycle process
Assuming your tank is in good equilibrium, there's enough bio-active microbes circulating in the water, substrate, etc. to make this step unnecessary. The only time I seed is going to a whole new setup.

Assuming your tank is in good equilibrium, there's enough bio-active microbes circulating in the water, substrate, etc. to make this step unnecessary. The only time I seed is going to a whole new setup.

Not in the water... why risk it though? No real hassle in transferring media.

Here's what your going to do.. get you a snazzy new ac 70 and run it tandem with the bio wheel for a couple weeks, than remove the filter pad from old filter and cut it apart to remove all the carbon, rinse in tank water and fit what you can in the ac, after a month the ac should be good. if running tandem isn't a viable option than cram old filter floss into new and float the bio wheel for a couple weeks.

I have an ac 50 on the other side I just added a couple of weeks ago so I wouldn't be able to run it at the same time but i will do the latter option! Thank you so much!!!

If that's the case then you can probably cut up the Biowheel and stuff that into the new ac70. Between that and the ac50 you have, it shouldn't cause a mini-cycle.

I rather be safe than sorry at the end of the day but thank you for your suggestion!

I'm going to pick up my filter later on today after I pick up my son. I will be sure to cut up the old media and stuff it into the new filter. I'm so excited I had been overthinking the whole seeding process in my head. Thanks y'all!!

Back
Top Bottom