Self contained vs Sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talkn2themike

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello guys!
I'm looking into purchasing a 50 gall. in about 5 months. I have been sucessful in running a nano cube for about a year now. No casualties! However I want to do a reef with few fish in it. This time around.

I was wondering if a self contained tank will be sufficiant enough to house a reef? I would like to have asorted reef. Hard and soft. I don't want to be limited to one specific type. As much as I would love to try the berlin style aquarium. I don't think I can because the return pump in the sump would be a bit to loud for my mothers taste. Are self contained set ups just as loud? I guess what I'm trying to say is are there any draw backs/limitations with a self contained system? And which is louder of the two?

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
I was wondering if a self contained tank will be sufficiant enough to house a reef?
What do you mean by "self contained"? Do you mean a standard tank without a sump and with HOB filters/skimmer? If so, yes, that would work as a reef tank.
As much as I would love to try the berlin style aquarium. I don't think I can because the return pump in the sump would be a bit to loud for my mothers taste
You can do a Berlin system without having a sump. Go with a 4 inch sand bed and 75-100lbs of LR along with aggressive skimming.
Are self contained set ups just as loud? I guess what I'm trying to say is are there any draw backs/limitations with a self contained system? And which is louder of the two?
I have tanks with both and I do not notice any difference in noise between my reef with a sump and my standard tanks. My sump is actually very quiet. I guess I would always recommed a sump to anyone who askes me. They add water volume creating more stable water parameters. They also provide you with a good place to hide equipment like skimmers and heaters.

What do you mean by "self contained"? Do you mean a standard tank without a sump and with HOB filters/skimmer? If so, yes, that would work as a reef tank.

Something like this
http://www.windowtothesea.com/display.php?cat=32&subcat=169

Also you said that your sump does not make much noise. A friend of mine has a set up and the return pump you can hear from outside the dang house. Is he doing something wrong? Is there something I can do to avoid hearing a bunch of noise?

When compared to something similar to the tank in the link, I would go with a reef-ready tank/sump design. More options for you as far as filter media and equipment.
Also you said that your sump does not make much noise. A friend of mine has a set up and the return pump you can hear from outside the dang house. Is he doing something wrong? Is there something I can do to avoid hearing a bunch of noise?
I think so. I do not believe most here do not have excess noise with a sump. If we did it would not be nearly as enjoyable. :wink:

the noise is probally from air escaping down the tube. i think it makes a gurgling noise.

i think thats a wet dry filter? sort of?

The noise it makes sounds kind of like the air conditioning running in a house. Is that normal? If not what is normal? Is it even possible to get a totally silent set up?

The noise it makes sounds kind of like the air conditioning running in a house. Is that normal? If not what is normal? Is it even possible to get a totally silent set up?
Not normal. I have 3 pumps running in my sump. You can hear them, but not unless you are within about 10 feet of the tank.

I think the biggest noise issues are with internal overflows with standard stand pipes.. the water drops to the level of the standpipe before being drained down into the sump.. if this is the problem with your friends setup it most likely needs a better designed standpipe.. like the durso.. :mrgreen:

I think I'm going to give the sump a shot. I'll let you guys know how my noise management turns out. Thanks for everyones input!

Back
Top Bottom