Self-priming Filter Recommendation for 55 Gallon Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JasonJackson

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have (I mean, my daughter has!) goldfish. The 3 year old (goldfish, not daughter!) is living in a 29 gallon tank but want to move him to a 55 gallon tank since he's already over 6". I was going to buy an AquaClear power filter (hanging) but I've heard they can have restarting problems after a power outage (which are frequent in my area). I've heard that canister filters don't generally have this problem so I was considering a Hagen Fluval 306. Is this a good choice or should I just go with the AquaClear and purchase a UPS? I currently have a DC to AC inverter and a couple of car batteries for extended outages but I have to be here to set it up. Thanks for your time.

If you're doing a Fluval, I would go for the 406 instead of the 306. I have one on a 55 gallon and I don't think the 306 would be enough. They're priced pretty low on Amazon.

The thing is after a power cut all canister filter will already be primed

You only need to prime them after cleaning

If you have double taps you only need to prime when you set it up

I like the aqueon quite flows it filters really good, is cheap, and self primes.

Well I usually and never have used canister filters. I only use hob. It's cheap and easy.

If you're doing a Fluval, I would go for the 406 instead of the 306. I have one on a 55 gallon and I don't think the 306 would be enough. They're priced pretty low on Amazon.

What he says. I got the 306 but its on a 20 gallon and works great. Totally silent and I only clean it out once a month and it don't even look that dirty, but I replace the ammo chips once a month so if I got it taken apart hell, might as well clean it. One thing I did find out is that you want the hoses to be as short as possible. I wasn't too happy with the flow I was getting when I just cut the hoses in half, but after cutting off about 2+ feet and getting rid of the slack it was 10 times better.

Back
Top Bottom