Sell me on a backup/supplemental/auxiliary filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tacit Blues

Aquarium Advice FINatic
First, the tank: 45 gallons (36Lx12Wx23D), fluval c4 HOB filter, planted, driftwood, AqAdvisor at current stock levels puts it at 185% filtration capacity and 75% stocked (small tetras, cory cats and otos). While there is nothing wrong with the current setup, I would like to get another filter to run as a backup/supplemental/auxiliary, and to help eliminate a few dead spots I've got on the opposite side from where the current filter is located.

Here's my thoughts on options: while I like the C4 in terms of how it works and such, I don't really like how the outflow makes a giant waterfall current that immediately sinks any food that's floating and generally seems to blow everything around. I've done a little modification to the outflow with a bent strip of plastic aquarium hood backing that fits on the lip, but it's still a little much for my liking. However, I think that there is definitely something to be said for getting a duplicate unit in terms of logistics, so I have been thinking of just getting another C4 (or maybe a smaller C-series) for the other side of the aquarium.

The other option of course is some sort of canister filter. I also like the idea of being able to put inline things in (if I ever upgrade to high tech a co2 reactor would be nice). Being a *slight* Fluval fan, I was looking at the -06 series, but wouldn't know where to go beyond that. Since this isn't meant to be a large primary filter I'm not sure that I'd want to fork the dough over for a 306, but no one ever seems to talk about the smaller ones. Then of course there's the perennial favorite of the SunSun cheap and cheerful canisters, which never seem to have anyone unhappy with them. Was thinking 302 if I went that route. Ehiem appears to be another favorite, but it seems from my reading they're split between die-hard fans with 18 of them and people who are really disappointed--not sure if that's because different model lines are made in cheaper factories or what.

What do you folks think about running extra filters, and which ones do you like?

Back
Top Bottom