Separating betta and fry - will a regular divider do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Torkelgutt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm in the process of setting up a 10 g tank (top fin) which is intended as a nursery when fish from my bigger tank is ready to give birth. However, I'd still like to have something pretty in it when it's not being used as a nursery, and I would love to put a betta in there.

My question is whether a regular top fin tank divider will be enough to keep the betta on its side when I have fry on the other side?

Someone mentioned to me that bettas have been known to jump dividers. Are there any simple/smart solutions to prevent it from doing so? Or are the top fin dividers high enough that they leave not enough space beween it and the lid of the tank for the betta to jump it?

Ok that might be a problem. Bettas are sneaky lil devils and would love to munch on some fry. Petsmart sells glass lids around $18. where I live. If the divider is tall enough to touch the glass it should be fine. I have a top fin also and bought a separate glass lid for it.

Yeah. I was hoping someone would have the same setup (should've mentioned the lid in the original post, of course, thanks for asking) and could tell me if the divider was high enough.

But a glass top might be a good option too, if the plastic one turns out to leave too much room, thanks for the tip!

Update:

After looking up the topfin divider's measurements and doing some measurement of my tank, it seems there will be about 0.8" of room between the top of the divider and my lid. Something tells me that might be more than what a betta needs to jump it and get to the other side?

Just lower your water level.

I am trying to avoid that. The tank sits in my home office, and listening to water run out of the filter and into a low water level makes me have to go pee every 20 minutes :lol:

I've purchased a divider, will install and then get a betta and watch what happens. If need be, I will install some extra mesh at the top of my tank to prevent the betta from being able to jump (while keeping enough space for it to get air when it wants to, of course).

I am trying to avoid that. The tank sits in my home office, and listening to water run out of the filter and into a low water level makes me have to go pee every 20 minutes [emoji38]

I've purchased a divider, will install and then get a betta and watch what happens. If need be, I will install some extra mesh at the top of my tank to prevent the betta from being able to jump (while keeping enough space for it to get air when it wants to, of course).
Lol! I understand... Well, if you get an older betta you'll have a better chance to not have to worry about jumping. The younger ones jump more. And I think the females jump more than males. Keeping up on the water quality and feedings and they won't have a reason to jump also. Just little side note. Good luck. Your plain should work if you have to.

"listening to water run out of the filter and into a low water level makes me have to go pee every 20 minutes" :ROFLMAO:
It makes me relax and want to sleep. hehe

Back
Top Bottom