Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-12-2005, 04:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Septic fields and saltwate aquariums

I'm considering moving to house on a septic system. One of the concerns with septic is the AMOUNT of water that you force into the system. We all know that RO/DI systems run a lot of waste water when filtering, but I think I could rig up something to recycle that through the RO/DI to minimize the output.

But what about large dumps of SW into the system? I'm thinking of water changes on a large system...changes that might be 10-20 gallons per week. Does SW have any adverse affects on septic systems?

40 Gal Hex, 10 Gal Sump, CPR overflow with Mag 7 return, Maxxima 35 RO/DI, 10K MH pendant, 2 x 15W actinic, 1 yellow tail damsel, 1 high fin goby, 40lbs LR.com rock, 1 red head goby, 1 algae blenny, Leather, blastomussa, sun, and hammer corals, green polyps, carpet anemone, 2 sexy shrimp...and more LR critters than you could imagine in your worst nightmares.... Mantis in 5 gal
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 06:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to AquaJoe
I can not see that being a problem. When you get a bath you end up draining WELL over 20 gallons of water into the septic system and keep in mind that at some homes, there may be three people getting a bath at the same time. When engineers design septic systems I am sure they keep things like this in mind. If your concern is flooding your septic system, I would not be worried at all.

HTH

Joe

Old 11-12-2005, 08:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Good point....but what about salt water? I suppose salt itself is fairly harmless, but I'm concerned that there might be some effect that I don't understand.
40 Gal Hex, 10 Gal Sump, CPR overflow with Mag 7 return, Maxxima 35 RO/DI, 10K MH pendant, 2 x 15W actinic, 1 yellow tail damsel, 1 high fin goby, 40lbs LR.com rock, 1 red head goby, 1 algae blenny, Leather, blastomussa, sun, and hammer corals, green polyps, carpet anemone, 2 sexy shrimp...and more LR critters than you could imagine in your worst nightmares.... Mantis in 5 gal
Old 11-12-2005, 08:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I dont dump my SW down the drain because I do not want to take any chances with the SW killing off FW bacteria in the septic that are important to the breaking down of waste.
On the other hand bleach in the wash I'm sure does not help them either. So I just toss it on the side of the house away from any flowers..

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 09:00 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just toss mine on the side of the house as well ... for some reason it really makes my grass grow???

I have read that the effects of SW on a septic are not as bad as you would think anyway, what really kills a septic is if A) you drain your wash machine into your system B) you don't use septic safe products worst thing being toilet paper C) every month MAKE SURE you use a product called RID-X and D) have your septic pumped at least once a year depending on size ... 500gallons every year and 1000 gallons every 1 1/2 years!

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Jermz79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 11:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks! Kudos to youdos...
Old 11-13-2005, 10:16 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I have had a few septic systems over the years. I have never had one emptied and have never used Ridx. Might look into that but never had any issues.

I also take my water and dump it on the side of the house. I don't have a sink in my basement so that is the only real option at this time. On my last house I did pour it in the sink.

I do worry about the pumps though. I currently have a septic system that has a pump. I would worry about the salt water sitting and corroding the pump. I would think that the normal water use of the house would dilute it but I do wonder about it. I have 2 kids so we do a lot of laundry!
Old 11-13-2005, 04:15 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisz
I have had a few septic systems over the years. I have never had one emptied and have never used Ridx. Might look into that but never had any issues.

You may want to check into it ellisz. Septic systems generally will not show a problem for a long time, but if and when they do the problems can be very expensive. If you own the house the measures I mentioned above will keep your tank(s) and drain field in good shape and prevent any future problems.

I have to replace my drainfield in the house that I just bought ... if I don't do it myself (YUK) I'm looking at like $2000, maybe more! Of course it all depends on the size of your house and what type of system you have, but they are very expensive to replace.

Jermz79

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Old 11-13-2005, 08:00 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

My first house we built and I paid for the septic and install. Basically consisted of 2 concrete boxes and about 4-5 lateral lines on about an acre of ground. I lived there 5 years and never did a thing. House is now 8 yrs old and I know the owners and all is well.

The house I have now is similar but one tank pump to the other and then feeds the laterals.

Not doubting you but where did you get your info on Ridx and its uses? I have heard of it but never used it.

Thanks for the information.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:41 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

My best friend from Highschool is in the septic buisness and I have now owned 3 houses all on septic! RidX is a product used to rebuild depleted bacteria in your septic, bacteria that is beneficial for breaking down solid waste and turning it into a liquid for drainage into your drain field!!

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002

Tags
salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com