Setting up 170gal. Suggestions welcome.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mangelo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
First piece of advice that I need is what's the best thing to use to level this off? It is on carpet and going to be over 2000lbs when all done.

Unless this tank is on cement the first thing is to reinforce the floor!!

Thats the first thing that I did. Used 3 4x4 and 3 floor jacks. I got it leveled with composite shims.
Thanks for the reply.

Sounds like you have it covered. Should be an awesome tank set up!! Post some pics when you get it going.

Oh, I will. Im processing the water through my RO / DI now. Gonna take awhile. I'm actually upgrading from a 75.

Any advice on using the sand in my very well established 75? I assumed that I can use the live rock.

The live rock is OK but I wouldn't use more than a couple scoops of sand. The benificial stuff will eventually populate the new sand. If you move your sand over you will have a cycle in the new tank as all the trapped sediment is released. If you did move the sand, I would wait until the cycle ends before putting anything living in the new tank, and then you would have to be really carefull with anything living in the old tank after stirring it all up.

Ok. I don't need to use the sand. What about the water?

As long as it doesn't get dirty while draining it (IE: sand isn't kicked up into the water) then I don't see why you couldn't re-use some, if not most, of your existing water. You are going to need to make almost 100g anyway going from a 75 to a 170.

Back
Top Bottom