Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-17-2014, 03:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Setting up a ballast!

I'm setting up a T5 Ballast. It is a Philips Advance ballast, and is capable of running 4 T5HO bulbs. I already bought it and began working on everything, then realized that it can only go up to 49watts.

Now I already have 2 bulbs that I'm using from my original ballast that are 59watts (even though that fixture isn't a 59watt, or a high output fixture). But the lights run on it, and look pretty good.

So what I'm asking is!

My ballast will be setup for 4x 49watt bulbs, but I will be running Coralife 54watt bulbs.. what are the downsides to using 54watt bulbs on 49watt fixtures? 2x 10k HO and 2x Actinic Blue HO

Is there any great bulbs that allow maintaining beautiful corals, (besides SPS as I don't want to do that for a long while), or will running 4x 54watt bulbs be alright.

FYI: I will have 2-4 cooling fans, air coming in and going out. It will be 'circulated'
55gal Beginner FOWLR - 40lb Live Rock, 1 True Percula, 1 Sand Sifting CUC, 1 Scooter Blenny, 1 Sally LF Crab, 2 Turbo Snails, Frag Brain Coral, Tree Coral Frag, Zoanthid Colony
KreativJustin is offline   Reply With Quote

ballast, setting up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com