Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-05-2012, 11:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Setting up ATO ??

I have a RKL basic. I want to expand it with another PC4 module and SL1 module. I want to set up a ATO controlled by the SL1. Will one float switch work? My concern is I am going to my sons wedding and will be gone 9 days. I figure a 13 gal trash can will surfice for a resevour but I the float switch sticks 13 gal would fload my sump. Are float switches reliable or should I use 2 one for a back up to shut water off if a predetermined high water mark is reached? Advice?

PS. I have the feeding covered while I am gone.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #2
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I would go with 2 for peace of mind. They do fail, and have heard first hand reports of them failing.

AutoTopoff.com has some good prices on dual setup models.

fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #3
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Yep... I am one of those first hand experiences. Get 2... even if it's just for peace of mind.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort384 View Post
I would go with 2 for peace of mind. They do fail, and have heard first hand reports of them failing.

AutoTopoff.com has some good prices on dual setup models.
I also found that if you use a RKL with PH probe and kalk water in your top off that you can fail safe by setting the PH limit and if the ATO continues to pump kalk the PH probe will tell the RKL to shut off the ATO. This is done independantly from the ATO switch and will override it.Hmmm
Old 04-06-2012, 12:59 PM   #5
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Yes that would also work... but would be a bit more expensive than just buying a second float switch if you don't already have an RKL or pH controller of some kind
Old 04-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Yes that would also work... but would be a bit more expensive than just buying a second float switch if you don't already have an RKL or pH controller of some kind
I have a RKL basic and would just need to add the SL1 module I believe. I was planning on upgrading the RKL with the SL1 and another PC4 module eventually anyway.

My ? is what saturation would I want the Kalk to be so the controller will top off but also shut off if PH raises too high. Will it be just trial and error or how do I figure that out?
Old 04-06-2012, 01:07 PM   #7
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Ah ok. That I cannot help you with, but I am sure someone here can . I would imagine it would take some tweaking and trial and error, as uptake in each tank would be different.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:37 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Ah ok. That I cannot help you with, but I am sure someone here can . I would imagine it would take some tweaking and trial and error, as uptake in each tank would be different.
I am thinking that if I use the PH probe as a fail safe I can not only kill 2 birds with one stone, PH controll and ATO but that these would provide 2 completely different style inputs for a fail safe and would be less likely to fail compared to 2 same style float switches. One is somewhat mechanical and the other is purely digital input. Does that make sense?
Old 04-06-2012, 01:42 PM   #9
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Yes, absolutely... I actually use 2 float switches, and they are both plugged into a pH controller as a 3rd fail safe for my ATO (since adding a bunch of FW top off to the system would lower the pH).
Old 04-06-2012, 01:54 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Yes, absolutely... I actually use 2 float switches, and they are both plugged into a pH controller as a 3rd fail safe for my ATO (since adding a bunch of FW top off to the system would lower the pH).
Ok so this is the plan I think. SL1 module with Ph probe upgrade. A Digital Aquatics float switch. A MiniJet 606 pump.

Run the float switch to the SL1 for ATO with Kalk. Program the PH probe to shut off the ATO if PH raises beyond 8.3 for fail safe overflow if float sticks. I usually top off about 1 gal every other day depending on conditions. A 10 gal ATO RO resevour should get me 7-9 days with ease I think. If the float sticks PH should raise with set up beyond 8.3 before my sump would overflow tripping the PH probe to override the float switch. Correct?

Also If I decide not to dose Kalk the probe could be set to overide in the event the PH drops below determined level accomplishing the same thing. Correct?

Tags
setting up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com