Setting up my 72g Please Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattleycrue

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok here goes

I picked up a 72 gal bowfront yesterday and spent all day today mixing saltwater and trying to get the plumbing right. I bought it used and it came with a 3 chamber sump, protein skimmer, and return pump.

Couple of questions:

the return pump is rated at 1500 gal/hr and seems to suck up way to much water causing a lot of air in the system. Is this to big a pump? sure seems like it. its like the overflow can't keep up with providing water.

also the overflow came with a little air pump called aqualifter i think and i thought i could disconnect it once the air had been sucked out of the overflow but whenever i try to disconnect it the overflow stops working.

I am confused and need to get this handeled quick like. at the moment i just have live rock in the tank and am only using a couple of pwerheads for circulation.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. (especially if its quick)

Look up your overflow online and see what it is rated at. 1500gal/hr seems a little much for a 72g. I have a 46g with a mag7 (700gph) and thats pushing it for sure. Although it could work as long as your overflow is rated to handle a 1500gal/hr pump.

i found it. its a CPR CS 100 rated at 800 g/h. i guess that pretty much explains my problem. i'll go get an 800 g/h pump as soon as the lfs opens up. thanks for the pointer.

Be sure to add the head height into your pump selection. You probably want one rated just under a 1000gph

You dont have a ball valve or anything that is restricting the overflow. As CMOR said figure in head height and bends. I`m moving this to General Hardware and equipment discussion.

Back
Top Bottom