Setting up my first planted tank, help & ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dalmation1080

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a few small betta tanks, and a divided 10 gallon for my bettas/snails/shrimp, etc.

I would like to do my first planted tank. I am planning on using a product called "eco complete" for the substrate. I have a 30-40 gallon tall hexagon tank.
Does anyone have any recommendations for hardy community fish to go into the tank? Nothing super expensive or big, just pretty. I would like go be able to add multiple snails & shrimp. I was considering a possible a pair of dwarf african frogs, but I am still debating.
I would like to have some fish who stay more at the bottom of the tank, and some who stay in the middle/top.

I am also looking for suggestions for simple/easy care plants for the tank. And I also need to replace the filter, so any filter suggestions too? Thanks everyone I look forward to the comments!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well, depending on what your set up is... If you're wanting low tech, easy plants try rotalia, water wisteria, crypts, swords and mosses. I have personally grown these without added CO2.

Others can help you with more high tech setups. Lighting is very important. Fertilizer is important too.

I suggest looking at planted tanks and seeing what you like, then find out what those plants are.
Good luck!

I have a few small betta tanks, and a divided 10 gallon for my bettas/snails/shrimp, etc.

I would like to do my first planted tank. I am planning on using a product called "eco complete" for the substrate. I have a 30-40 gallon tall hexagon tank.
Does anyone have any recommendations for hardy community fish to go into the tank? Nothing super expensive or big, just pretty. I would like go be able to add multiple snails & shrimp. I was considering a possible a pair of dwarf african frogs, but I am still debating.
I would like to have some fish who stay more at the bottom of the tank, and some who stay in the middle/top.

I am also looking for suggestions for simple/easy care plants for the tank. And I also need to replace the filter, so any filter suggestions too? Thanks everyone I look forward to the comments!

Rainbows are a good hardy fish to start with. They can be a little pricey but live aquaria has Threadfin Rainbows for 2.99.

Tall tanks are tricky to light and due to poor surface ratio, should be stocked more lightly then a tank of equivalent gallons that is a traditional rectangle.

But it can be done. Planted tanks are awesome ?

If you Google "planted hex aquarium" you can look at images to get some inspiration.

Tina beat me to it. If you want to try your hand at plants, a tall tank like a hex is tough to do it in (been there). By all means, it can be done, but you need to have adequate light reaching the plants. Plus it's a pain to move stuff around IMO, but I'm short haha. I started really doing the plant thing in a small tank and it was a great intro for me, easy to rearrange, propagation time came fast, I used less volume of ferts keeping stuff alive....I'm still a noob :) good luck!

Back
Top Bottom