Setting up new sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gilraen

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got a 20gal 'rubbermaid' to use as my new sump. I've got a few questions:
1. Can I hang my aquac remora from it? or should I leave it in the tank?
2. What can I use to make partitions?
3. Do I need to cycle the sump or can I just prepare H20 and let it sit with a powerhead for a few days and use that as a H2O change?

I have all my tank info under my profile. Any help is greatly appreaciated!

Wow, I'm doin the same thing with a 30 gallon rubbermaid, and I would like the answer to #1 as well.

1. if it will fit
2. acrylic from somewhere like Home Depot
3. Just put fresh SW in it and turn the return pump on...... that's what you'll probably be doping when you do a waterchange anyway.

1) Yes... just make sure the tub is STURDY and can hold up the weight of a fully filled Remora. Make sure that you add extentions to the pump so that the skimmer pump is always submerged in water.

2) Partitions are tough in a rubbermaid. If it were me, I would try plexiglass or pieces of plastic and use aquarium safe epoxy to attach. Don't know the exact materials you would need though. Just don't use glass... won't stick to plastic.

3) No need to cycle the sump. Fill it with freshly made water and that's pretty much all you'll need to do. Make sure it's well mixed and aged 24 hours at least, and that it's up to temperature. Make sure to test the power shut-off and see that the sump can handle any water that flows back from the tank. Try this at least a few times.

Good luck!! :D

Back
Top Bottom