Setting up Tank Via Holes Drilled in Bottom of Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeffnyc

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello!

I am researching setting up my first planted aquarium and want to hide all mechanicals behind slate in the back of the tank.

I want my proposed 25 gallon cube created with two holes in the bottom for a:
• CO2 system
• Internal Filter

Then, (using the best, longest lasting tubing possible) I would seal the holes with silicone.
The stand would have corresponding holes.

Any thoughts or suggestions on the feasibility of this plan? Suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I haven't had a tank since I was a kid.

Thank you!
Jeff

Hi & welcome to AA!!

You will not want to attempt the connections with silicone!! It will fail & you will get a leak....

The proper way to connect stuff through a drilled tank is with bulkheads, like these:
Bulkhead Fittings

The bulkheads allows you to make water-tight seals through holes in your tank. For holes in the bottom, you would attach a pipe (the stand pipe) to the bulkhead inside the tank. Make the pipe taller than the water level & you can pass tubes,etc. through it without fear of leaks.

This is however, a rather complicated way to plumb a tank for your purposes. A drilled tank is really useful in sump setups. It is overkill (not to mention risk of flooding) to drill a tank just to pass your hoses through.

If you want to hide your mechanicals, a better solution is a canister filter. The filter can sit under the tank in a cupboard, and the intake & return hose hang over the rim of the tank. You can use strainer & spraybars that are almost completely hidden by your canopy. <But this setup only exchange water from the top of the tank. So some would place them deeper in the tank. In that case, you would have 2 vertical pipes visible, still pretty easy to hide.> You would T in your CO2 to the return of the canister (some build a diffuser in line with the return). Add an in line heater, and all your equipment is out of your tank & hidden.

My only comment is get the tank with the holes already drilled if you are going that route. Pretty much every tank has a tempered bottom which can't be drilled. The factory will drill the holes before the glass gets tempered.

Thank you! Drilling really doesn't seem very practical. I'll look into your other suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom