Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-12-2007, 06:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

setting up turbo twist UV

I just purchased a coralife turbo twist UV sterilizer. I want to feed the UV with water coming from my cannister filter (Fluval 405). The Cannister is rated at approximately 300 gph and currently runs from the floor 4' up to the back of the tank. I now expect to run it to the UV and then to the tank. I want to find the best way to connect the two. Should I hook the UV onto the back of the tank, run the tube from the cannister 4' up to it and then run the output from the UV into the tank - about 6 to 8", or should I install the UV onto the back of the sump (ground level) and run a tube from the cannister to the UV (about 6") and then run a tube from the UV up 4' and back into the tank? My guess is that the best solution is the first which is to install the UV onto the back of the tank and run the tube from the cannister 4' up to meet it.

Old 08-12-2007, 06:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to ct67_72
i would think the closer to the pump the better, keep as much restriction as possible close to the pump

Old 08-12-2007, 07:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
Coralife turbo twist UV sterilizer what size? Small at 9 watts 100-200 GPH your pump may be too much. 18 watt appears to be ok at 200-300 GPH. If you have the 9 watt you could put a "T" on the output and run the UV on one side. If the flow is too high the UV wont have time to affect the water.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It's the 18w model. I can always decrease the flow coming from the cannister but I don't think that will be necessary.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:00 PM   #5
src
Aquarium Advice Freak

My stand has a cross-brace in the middle, and I attached my 18w UV horizontally under it. Plumbed from my XP2 almost straight up to the UV, then the outlet to an in-line heater then to the tank.

It all really depends on how much room you have under/behind the tank. Personally, I like to keep everything hidden.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My cannister sits on the floor in back of the tank/stand. At this point my plan is to run the output hose from the cannister about 6" to the UV which will hang on the back of the sump (sump is in cabinet). I will then run another hose from the UV up 4' and back into the tank. I could run it directly into the sump but I want some flow in the back of the tank. Though it won't be much, it will be enough to keep the water moving in that area which is good enough.

Tags
setting up, turbo

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com