Shake Bottle 2 of the Nitrate test

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sixtyfou

Aquarium Advice Freak
I really got an eye opener today. The API test kit says in bold print on the Nitrate test:

"Vigorously shake the Nitrate Test Solution
Bottle # 2 for at least 30 seconds. This step is
extremely important to insure accuracy of
test results."

I've been half butting it the whole time. I give it a shake or two and start dropping. This totally messes up the results. It dawned on me the other day when my over stocked tank was going into week two with a Nitrate reading of 0. I knew something was amiss. Then today I tested mud and it came back at 0. Ding, Ding, Ding, I screwed up.

Done this too. Toward the end of the bottle I was getting nitrate readings off the chart - couldn't figure out why. Bought a new test kit, Realized my error when I actually read the instructions...

I read skimmed over them. They seemed redundant so by the time I got to the Nitrate section I wasn't really paying attention.

Now I'm concerned that I've messed up the whole bottle, and all my test data is trash:( Well I've learned my lesson at least.

depends how empty the bottle is - If you've used more than 1/10th, I wouldn't risk it and buy a new one. Mine showed gradually higher the more I used - as the concentration of whatever the active ingredient is got stronger at the end of the bottle. (at least I think that's why - makes sense to me!)

I use the API Phosphate kit also and the #2 bottle of it is a trip too. It's as thick as syrup. Hard to shake and squeeze out. OS.

Back
Top Bottom