Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-17-2012, 12:48 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Red face Shifting aquarium glass.

I recently purchased a 40 gallon tank that is 36 inches long. I have it on a stand that is 34.5 inches long so it hangs off about 3/4s of an inch on each side. I recently noticed that on one side the bottom appears to be pushed out very slightly and the top has been pulled in slightly ( almost like pressure is building up and pushing the bottom out forcing the top in) I am uncertain if it came this way or has just happened.. Can the fact that it is hanging off 3/4 of an inch be effecting it??

Old 09-17-2012, 01:30 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakehanke View Post
I recently purchased a 40 gallon tank that is 36 inches long. I have it on a stand that is 34.5 inches long so it hangs off about 3/4s of an inch on each side. I recently noticed that on one side the bottom appears to be pushed out very slightly and the top has been pulled in slightly ( almost like pressure is building up and pushing the bottom out forcing the top in) I am uncertain if it came this way or has just happened.. Can the fact that it is hanging off 3/4 of an inch be effecting it??
Id have to say the structural integrity is being compromised yes. If I was you is at least try to find a flat surface to for the entire length. Although I don't believe that is the cause n I think it may have been that way already. 40 gallons on your floor is a scary thought huh? Maybe try some aquarium safe silicone? Also I don't see it shattering or anything maybe a leak at the seal if anything y I suggest silicone. n with it being that way make sure it's level n u should b good I think.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

On those tanks, usually all the pressure is designed to be on the outer corners. Seeing as the corners are hanging off the table, the pressure has to go somewhere and it's probably going on the long edges, which are not as strong.

It's a recipe for a failure eventually. The glass will give under the odd pressure or the seals will separate or both.

A proper stand for the tank weight and size which is a minimum of 360lbs with just the water and glass is very important.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

As a temporary fix to the overhang problem you can get a piece of finishing plywood that is sturdy and place it on the stand and then the tank on the board. This will make sure that the entire tank is supported and you get a more even weight distribution across the whole tank without any unsupported areas. Just make sure you get a sturdy piece of wood. I wouldn't go smaller than 1/2 inch thick just to be safe
Old 09-17-2012, 03:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenRedeemer View Post
As a temporary fix to the overhang problem you can get a piece of finishing plywood that is sturdy and place it on the stand and then the tank on the board. This will make sure that the entire tank is supported and you get a more even weight distribution across the whole tank without any unsupported areas. Just make sure you get a sturdy piece of wood. I wouldn't go smaller than 1/2 inch thick just to be safe
That's....a really good idea. Sucks to empty the tank though especially if your cycling.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:16 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Way better to do it now than after you have it filled with fish and other stuff and end up with all that water and live stock on the floor.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Way better to do it now than after you have it filled with fish and other stuff and end up with all that water and live stock on the floor.
True story.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:46 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
I can safely agree.. Was given a 75 gallon tank by my grandma, which hadn't been used over 5 years, couple months after adding fish.. Sprung a leak.. My fish lived in a 20 gallon long tank for a couple months til I got the tank fixed & cycled.. It was a horrible mess.. Waking up to about 20+ gallons in the floor.. (and i had hard wood floors)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1059073232.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	120192   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-165312032.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	120193  

Tags
aquarium, glass

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com