Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-16-2019, 07:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Shop compressors used for aquariums

I'm putting a large aquarium in my shop. I already have a air compressor that I use for my pneumatic tools. I'm thinking that I'll split off a separate regulator to use as an air source for fluid medium in my sump filter. My question is; Will the air quality coming out of that compressor be okay to use in my sump or will it be filled with harmful bacteria or heavy metals from inside the compressor tank.😵 I don't know, does anyone know?

Old 09-16-2019, 09:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I wouldn't do it mainly because if water and or oil get into the air supply , and they do . Better to just get a large pump for aquariums .

Old 09-17-2019, 12:47 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

@Leeatl; I hadn't thought of that. Your reply prompted me to google removing oil and water from compressed lines. I stumbled upon the PDF with a total explanation of the process and how to obtain output air purity at 'food handling grade use, scientific and medical grade use as well. I will indeed purchase a tank air pump.
However; The DIY guy in me has accepted the challenge of making a home made (dryer, chiller, condensation trap, oil and water vapor dry particulate capture system) Just to see if I can Arrrrgh!

https://www.parker.com/Literature/Hi...OAAC-00-EN.pdf

Tags
air pump, aquarium, compressor

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com