shop lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
I remember a post from a while ago where someone had purchased fluorescent shop lights for aquarium use. Could I put something like that right on a piece of glass, or would I have to build something to hang the lights from?

I imagine that you could just set the light on top of the glass, but keep in mind that an aquarium light has a reflector that is designed to direct all of the light into a small space. In contrast, a shop light is designed to light up an entire room. The end result is that you would effectively have less wattage if you went with the shop light.

Oooh. I didn't think about that. Could I add some type of reflector material inside the light itself?

I've seen pictures where people had a 4' balast hanging above their tanks, but not directly on the tank.

You could build a long wood box to situate the fixture inside....it would hold the fixture, keep the tubes a few centimeters off the glass, and keep light from leaking out all over the room....plus, with a little wood stain, it would look nice, too.

aluminum foil is not a reflector, it is a diffusor. It does not reflect the light well. Try pointing a laser pointer at it and at a mirror. You will see that the aluminum foil scatters the light. With shop lights just the plain white paint works better than foil. A material called mylar works well as a reflector and is not too expensive. you can find it at hydroponic stores.

As for the shop light idea, I am using one on my planted tank with pretty good results, but it does spread the light out more than Id like.

If you could do it I would recomend building a fixture with a wood box, ballast(electronic) and bulb holders like Toirtis said, it would give you better results, but might not end up being cheaper.

Could you also use something like shiny sheet metal as the reflector? I have reflectors in my lights and that's what it looks like.

The shiny sheet metal is probably highly polished aluminum which is a very good reflector.

Check the roofing area at HD or Lowes... they should have a roll of sheet aluminum, would probably be great for making a reflector.

Mylar is also available in the camping dept. of Wallyworld as emergency blankets. You could use a spray adhesive and a credit card to apply it neatly.

Back
Top Bottom