Should a Fluval 106 make much noise?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toasted Tyrant

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I set up a new Fluval 106 canister filter today but I'm worried that something is wrong with it because of the loud(ish) humming noise that it makes. I've read reviews saying that they should be silent but you can hear this one from a couple of metres away. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Most fluvals now are usually fully submerged,if its not low enough under the water line it can hum quite loud as mine did this too .hope this helps

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My 206 is super quiet, just follow all installation directions and make sure there is no slack in the water lines

Fish?are?friends?not?food

The hum is from the impeller makes sure there nothing to stress it.

Thanks for the advice. I'll try tightening-up the water lines and place the canister more central to the in/outflows to the tank.

Placement makes no difference, these should run fairly quietly.
106 is external so it shouldn't be under water! (All -05/-06 series are external)

All of my externals are offset left or right, they're all Fluval and the air pump makes more noise than all of my filters combined. Check impeller plate is correctly installed and the impeller itself is free from debris.

Tip filter to ensure it has no air trapped within, this can make them noisy.
(Tip slightly left so the outflow is uppermost, if air bubbles come out that's it, then sit filter back down to normal position)
Hopefully that should fix the issue?

Tip filter to ensure it has no air trapped within, this can make them noisy.
(Tip slightly left so the outflow is uppermost, if air bubbles come out that's it, then sit filter back down to normal position)
Hopefully that should fix the issue?

I agree to check for air. Most likely culprit of newly set up canisters. Especially fluval.

When everything is running normal the filter will hum slightly, they are never really 'Silent'

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Unplugging and plugging back in can also help with noice I have found. This helps with my 306 at least.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Unplugging and plugging back in can also help with noice I have found. This helps with my 306 at least.

Was yours make a loud rattle too! Lmfao mine was doing that and I unplugged it and put it in a different extension cord and its good now lol

I've noticed that unplugging and plugging works for my AquaClear 50 when it starts humming. Not sure if this action "resets" or "re-aligns" the impeller.
OP might have a bad impeller. I bought a new AC50 and it was loud. Swapped the impeller with another one had running (that was silent) and now both are quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Was yours make a loud rattle too! Lmfao mine was doing that and I unplugged it and put it in a different extension cord and its good now lol

It wasn't a loud rattle but it was making a but if noise. I unplug it and it is fine for a week or more.

It wasn't a loud rattle but it was making a but if noise. I unplug it and it is fine for a week or more.

Well Yea not loud but annoying. After I change the plug its whisper quiet had mine for 2 months now

Thanks all. I've taken it apart then reassembled making sure the filter media bags had all the air squeezed out, the baskets were sitting better together and the pipework was taught. After tipping it around to get more air out it seemed slightly quieter. I'll just have to see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom