Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 05-06-2011, 08:16 PM   #1
Look It Up
 
librarygirl's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 7,052
Should I add more media or HOB?

Hi,

I'm currently doing a fishless cycle on a Marineland 12 gal Eclipse Bowfront. I'm using the filter that came with the tank.

I found out that the filter cartridge that goes into these is a carbon pad with a plastic casing on the bottom (you can see one here). I read carbon can hinder cycles and wouldn't be good if my fish ever got sick and I needed to medicate the tank so I figured I'd try to take it out. Pics below of what I did to the filter.

Since the filter was running with fish in it for a few weeks (they didn't make it ) and it's a bit gunky I don't want to get rid of it, at least not yet. If I close the holes you can't really tell. There are still some carbon pieces inside as I couldn't get them all out but I got the majority of it.

Anyway, my question (finally!): I'd like to have some extra media on hand if I ever wanted/needed to turn my 5 gal into a QT tank or if I ever wanted to upgrade, etc. Would another filter on this tank be too much? If I added more media or another filter now would it disrupt the fishless cycle (keeping the current media; I'm only 6 days in)? Should I add a whole other filter system, like a HOB filter, or should I just buy some filter sponges/foam and stick those into the spaces next to (to the left of) the current filter? It's pretty tight in there, there are a couple of spaces before and under the current filter, it should get wet though).

Any advice/recommendations would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	filterholes.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	36676  
Attached Images
 
__________________

__________________
librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 150
I think the marineland units have some challenges with using HOB's no ?

I would try to stuff some foam/floss in there, but make sure it's not too much to prevent good water movement. Some you can buy and just cut in a thin strip. Or...
You might want to remove the blue filter pad and carbon (Cut it out of the frame) and then just fit a cut piece of foam pad into the cartridge frame.
__________________

__________________
36 Bowfront
j2112j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:25 PM   #3
Look It Up
 
librarygirl's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 7,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by j2112j
I think the marineland units have some challenges with using HOB's no ?

I would try to stuff some foam/floss in there, but make sure it's not too much to prevent good water movement. Some you can buy and just cut in a thin strip. Or...
You might want to remove the blue filter pad and carbon (Cut it out of the frame) and then just fit a cut piece of foam pad into the cartridge frame.
That's a good idea. I do have an extra cartridge from the 5 gal that I bought before I upgraded. I think I'll take out the carbon, cut it out of the plastic casing, then i'll completely cut the current filter pad from it's cartridge and place them on top of each other in the tank. Would that work? That would let me remove the last of the carbon particles too if I just separate the current filter pad from it's casing. Thanks!
__________________
Every living thing is significant.
🐠 Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium
Community Rules | Custom Site Search
librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:03 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mr. Limpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northern California (Marin)
Posts: 4,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by libraygirl View Post
Hi,

I'm currently doing a fishless cycle on a Marineland 12 gal Eclipse Bowfront. I'm using the filter that came with the tank.

I found out that the filter cartridge that goes into these is a carbon pad with a plastic casing on the bottom (you can see one here). I read carbon can hinder cycles and wouldn't be good if my fish ever got sick and I needed to medicate the tank so I figured I'd try to take it out. Pics below of what I did to the filter.

Since the filter was running with fish in it for a few weeks (they didn't make it ) and it's a bit gunky I don't want to get rid of it, at least not yet. If I close the holes you can't really tell. There are still some carbon pieces inside as I couldn't get them all out but I got the majority of it.

Anyway, my question (finally!): I'd like to have some extra media on hand if I ever wanted/needed to turn my 5 gal into a QT tank or if I ever wanted to upgrade, etc. Would another filter on this tank be too much? If I added more media or another filter now would it disrupt the fishless cycle (keeping the current media; I'm only 6 days in)? Should I add a whole other filter system, like a HOB filter, or should I just buy some filter sponges/foam and stick those into the spaces next to (to the left of) the current filter? It's pretty tight in there, there are a couple of spaces before and under the current filter, it should get wet though).

Any advice/recommendations would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
I'd suggest not messing with the filter anymore until your cycle is complete and the cut up filter pad isn't a biggie since your using it to build bacteria rather than clean the tank of detritus from fish and those cartridges are easy to modify. Rather than cutting the front open, remove a few of the plastic strips in the back, shake the carbon out and stuff poly-fil into the now empty carbon chamber. It works great that way and will last a long time with some good filtering capacity.

I think I told you to cut the fiber on the back of the cartridge in another thread, but didn't know it was this style :P.
__________________
Mr. Limpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 12:20 PM   #5
Look It Up
 
librarygirl's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 7,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpet View Post
I'd suggest not messing with the filter anymore until your cycle is complete and the cut up filter pad isn't a biggie since your using it to build bacteria rather than clean the tank of detritus from fish and those cartridges are easy to modify. Rather than cutting the front open, remove a few of the plastic strips in the back, shake the carbon out and stuff poly-fil into the now empty carbon chamber. It works great that way and will last a long time with some good filtering capacity.

I think I told you to cut the fiber on the back of the cartridge in another thread, but didn't know it was this style :P.
Thanks again. I will leave it alone for now. But maybe I'm being dense, how would I cut the plastic in the back (pic attached); it looks pretty indestructible. Once (if it ever!) cycles and it's been OK for a while I'll figure out how to add more media, but just curious for right now. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	filterback.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	36687  
__________________
librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 12:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mr. Limpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northern California (Marin)
Posts: 4,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by libraygirl View Post
Thanks again. I will leave it alone for now. But maybe I'm being dense, how would I cut the plastic in the back (pic attached); it looks pretty indestructible. Once (if it ever!) cycles and it's been OK for a while I'll figure out how to add more media, but just curious for right now. Thanks!
See all those little slats that look like bars? Just cut a few out to make a hole and shake the carbon out. If it's sectioned off, just do the same thing in the different sections. The nice thing about those style of filter pads is you have a built in chamber to stuff fiber material (I like using poly-fil) into it and it stays put because the current of water is always pushing it into the filter.
__________________
Mr. Limpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:21 PM   #7
Look It Up
 
librarygirl's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 7,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpet

See all those little slats that look like bars? Just cut a few out to make a hole and shake the carbon out. If it's sectioned off, just do the same thing in the different sections. The nice thing about those style of filter pads is you have a built in chamber to stuff fiber material (I like using poly-fil) into it and it stays put because the current of water is always pushing it into the filter.
Aaah got it! You're a genius thank you
__________________

__________________
Every living thing is significant.
🐠 Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium
Community Rules | Custom Site Search
librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hob, media

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
hob filter media TankBoss Cichlid Discussion 12 03-07-2011 01:18 PM
Aquaclear HOB media change peppermint Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 11 05-21-2010 12:26 PM
HOB filter media question. jd8521 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 12 10-28-2009 02:15 PM
Emperor HOB media suggestions? Nystina General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 1 11-05-2004 05:59 AM
Removing HOB media fireman26m Saltwater Reef Aquaria 6 07-29-2004 09:46 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.