Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-15-2008, 02:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Should I change my filter

Hi, I have a 10g Fw fish only tank with one male betta. I got a Tetra Whisper in-tank filter with 90 GPH for up to 10g.

But alot of people say that aquaclear HOB filters are the best, and my water is pretty foggy so im wondering if i should change my filter or if this one is fine.

I was also wondering if air pumps you put in your tank are corded or run on batteries or dont use energy at all.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm using a tetra also on my 10G, so far its OK, but I'm paying attention to it b/c its doesn't move much water. I have RCS(shrimp) so I dont want them to get sucked up.

Now for a betta, they dont like lots of flow. Some people have planted tanks w/ no filter at all and no issues, but this is against common opinion.

Is it necessary, no, if you had other fish then I would say go for the AC, w/ a betta he may not like an AC filter, even though the flow is adjustable.

Understanding the basics will let you make informed decisions on what advice to follow, and what advice is just plain hooey!
SpeedEuphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

ok i am thinking about getting some neon tetras with him so i will probably look into the ac.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Not sure what you mean by "air pumps you put in your tank". Air pumps usually sit outside the tank and run an airline into the tank.

Foggy water can be the result of a bacteria bloom. From your other post, I see that your tank is not fully cycled, which would explain this. I would say that the foggy water is actually a good thing, and will go away after a few days. The filter simply needs to absorb the bacteria and the fog will go away. Don't be too worried about it unless the fish show signs of stress. Keep up on the PWCs to keep the ammonia and Nitrite levels under control.
CatatonicBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:28 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

oh i had thought you put the air pump directly into the tank. so does the air line come with the air pump and what is the best thing to hook up to the air line
Old 07-15-2008, 03:32 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

you can hook up an air stone, a sponge filter or a bubble wand type thing on the end of the air line from an air pump. Not sure if air line comes with them but its cheap, normally $2 for 6ft or $5 for 25ft of line
Understanding the basics will let you make informed decisions on what advice to follow, and what advice is just plain hooey!
SpeedEuphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:35 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The air line does not usually come with the air pump. They usually sell it in the LFS right next to the pumps though. The air pumps don't like to get wet.

You will want to get some kind of air stone or other device that diffuses the air in the water. There are many kinds, shapes and sizes of air stone, so it really depends on the effect you want to create. The long sticks can create a curtain of air across the back of the tank, or any of them can just be buried under the substrate so the bubbles come up wherever you want them to. you can really get creative with whatever you choose, and they are really inexpensive for the simple blue or green airstones (under $1 each), so you can change things around whenever you want.
CatatonicBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 05:38 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

ok thanks for the info

Tags
change, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com