Should I install an undergravel filter for a 30g tall tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jchillin

Aquarium Advice Addict
My LFS has suggested that I install an undergravel filter. LFS says that it will improve the filtration of the substrate and add beneficial nutrients. Keep in mind that I just completely re-started cycling my tank (fish still doing ok). What do you think? Oh, here's a pic of the tank.

I wouldn't recommend using a UGF. Your power filter is more than adequate to handle the job of filtration as long as you vacume the gravel periodically. You should especially avoid a UGF if you are going to have live plants.

What lfs are you going to? I would not want their advice. I have never had any luck with the ugf. The stagnant water around the outside of the grating turns poisons as duritis build up over time.

i have ugfs on 2 of my tanks and i hate them, mostly because about every six months it breaks down for some reason and you have to fullt take apart the tank and clean everything.

bluefire,
Have you considered changing your UGF to reverse flow? That will eliminate most of the problems associated with this type of filtration. I would not recommend using this type of filtration on a new setup, but if you already have it, reverse flow is the way to go.

UGF are old school and way out dated.
Get yourself a good Hang On Back filter like the AquqClear 500 or a good canister filter like a Fluval 404.

I don't want to give the LFS free advertising but it's a large chain with two syllables. First syllable is what we call domestic in the home animals and the second is what is scientifically referred to a terra ferma.

It's called value adding. If they don't think you are going to buy a more expensive filter thay will try and sell you something that doesn't look so expensive. If they get a high turnover, the profit is high.

UGF's will work but are not the best. I used box filters with filter wool with less hassle than ugf's :lol:

Back
Top Bottom