Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-02-2011, 04:33 PM   #11
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion
Moved to General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:45 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ya cost of a tube of silicone is about 3 bucks.... And a lil time... IMO btr than loosing money selling it, even more the cost of a new one. But I'm cheap and look for the deals that's why I keep adding tanks.... Lol

"Why does Sea World have a sea food restaurant?? I am half way thru my fish burger when I realize, OMG I could be eating a SLOW LEARNER!!" ~Lynda Montgomery
Bl80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:01 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
I can understand his point of view. If you haven't done something like this before and realize that a mistake can cause a huge problem, then go for the easy solution. I would keep the other tank and try to reseal it as well. Then, if it passed the leak test as mentioned above, you could either use it as a quarantine tank or to start another tank. Or, you could get him to start one and we could have a new aquarist!
Why do I love fish? Because every time I stare into the little world I have created for them, every problem I have just floats away....
Retired_AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:51 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist
That picture reminds me of what tanks looked like in the old days when they had painted steel frames (not even stainless) that always rusted out around the top edge where the water got on them
They were sealed with black tar and if you left them empty for any appreciable period of time the tar would dry out, crack, and flake out of the inside corners and around the edges of the frame on the outside
Then the tank would start to leak
In those days we didn't have silicone so you bought a can of black tar and tried to fill the gaps with a putty knife
It wasn't pretty, nor were you after playing with that tar

Yeah, I'm an old fart

A seed hidden in the heart of an apple is an orchard invisible.
Welsh Proverb
kc2ped is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com