Show off your sump!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Baffels. Stupid android auto correct. :) I started this thread, take a look at the pictures of the first post.
When I get home I will post the pictures of my 90 gallon sump, it's easier to see

Gotcha! Is that a damsel in you sump? I recently added more water to my return chamber. Going to turn my skimmer on tonight. I had a small hole on skimmate cup lid. I had to seal it up.

Nice and simple ! I have a schuran skimmer and rock rubble with a simple marine White t8 and one extract fan and 2 supply fans !

These fans have made a huge difference in the cabinet in keeping it dry but obviously there's more evaporation

In digging the fans and vents. Great idea. My tank stays around 78-82. I know it'll hear up in the summer. Especially with refug lamp on. What's everyone's light schedule for refug?

Opposite of display, if possible. I run mine the same as the display because too much light will shine into the tank if I run it opposite.

Opposite of display, if possible. I run mine the same as the display because too much light will shine into the tank if I run it opposite.

Yeah I was thinking of running them at night. I'll take u up in that X! That'll keep daytime temps down too.

I run my sump light 24/7. Thinking of putting it on timer for opposite cycles.
Anyways, here are those pics of the 90 gallon sump.
61709-albums12242-picture55372.jpg

61709-albums12242-picture55373.jpg

61709-albums12242-picture55374.jpg

61709-albums12242-picture55375.jpg

Note the water level above the baffles.

There's no point to running it 24/7 unless you are using Caulerpa as your macroalgae. I also believe that the some of the tiny creatures in the sump would benefit from a night time period.

So in not happy with my return flow. I used 1" pvc for both overflows and for the return. In thinking about upsizing to 1.25" flex for overflows and leaving return as it. Will this help with flow?

Sure it will. you'll need to drill the tank and install larger bulkheads to accommodate the larger diameter flex though. are you willing to go through all that?

Sure it will. you'll need to drill the tank and install larger bulkheads to accommodate the larger diameter flex though. are you willing to go through all that?

**** X, you're all about going bigger! I wish... I'm going to have to wait until I get my 250 gallon. I think or now I'm going to use 1" flex an see how that works. Also, can you drill a tank with live stock?

The drain specs on your tank should be big enough to consume more than it is returning. I have a 1" return, 1 1/2" drain. Personally i wouldn't go smaller than 1 1/2" drain, due to the fact that it is large enough to pass a Mexican Turbo Snail. :) I built a 1 1/2" durso standpipe, and I create a large bubble of gutter guard to go on the end so nothing actually gets passed through but water and poop.

What about for freshwater tanks. What are some easy set up ideas. I have a four chamber that I built. The first is 6 inches for water in water flows over then into a chamber that is 8 inches that the water has to flow under then a smaller chamber about 4 inches that is currently empty that the water again has to go over into the return chamber that is 10 inches.

Attachments

• image-3847444578.jpg
    image-3847444578.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 79
  • image-2597242041.jpg
    image-2597242041.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 58
Back
Top Bottom