Sick of canister filters.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I posted my follow up on the wrong thread. I removed one of the canisters and bought another AC 110. So I now have two 110’s and one canister. Oddly enough the flow from the 110’s isn’t an issue anymore. The fish seem fine and are now swimming all over the tank rather than only one side. These are noisy filters though. I’ve tried everything to quieten them down. The AC 70’s on my other tank are very quiet. Not sure what the problem is.

From checking my fishy stuff notes the pumps in ACs are the same until you hit the 110 then they change - upsize I assume

Too bad they aren’t as quiet. I cleaned one out completely last night while doing a water change. I put Vaseline on the impeller, no change.

I love my Fluval FX-5 I own 2 now. They are wonderful. There is a drain to flush the filter and reduce clean outs and they work quietly and run something under 980 p/h depending on how clogged everything is. I also really love my AC 110 which I also have 2 but just accidentally broke the housing and it started leaking. Had to take it off. I was running one of each on my 46G bowfront and it didn't bother the big Angels at all.

I am using one of each on the 2 biggest tanks 46G (was going to be the 90G but it is leaking at the overflow so not using it yet.) and the 72G.

The FX-5 is not a model manufactured any longer but there is a 6 version. And my 5's were used but in excellent condition and I was happy to get them. One FX-5 I was going to buy the whole tank set up just to get the filter and then sell the tank and stand I didn't want, just to save money and get it! They are spendy new, but you could keep your eyes peeled for one!

I love my Fluval FX-5 I own 2 now. They are wonderful. There is a drain to flush the filter and reduce clean outs and they work quietly and run something under 980 p/h depending on how clogged everything is. I also really love my AC 110 which I also have 2 but just accidentally broke the housing and it started leaking. Had to take it off. I was running one of each on my 46G bowfront and it didn't bother the big Angels at all.

I am using one of each on the 2 biggest tanks 46G (was going to be the 90G but it is leaking at the overflow so not using it yet.) and the 72G.

The FX-5 is not a model manufactured any longer but there is a 6 version. And my 5's were used but in excellent condition and I was happy to get them. One FX-5 I was going to buy the whole tank set up just to get the filter and then sell the tank and stand I didn't want, just to save money and get it! They are spendy new, but you could keep your eyes peeled for one!

Good to know.

I’ve given the AC 110’s a while to quietened down, but apparently it’s not going to happen, so I’ve decided to remove the noisiest one. Now I have 2 canisters and 1 AC 110. The tank is so much quieter now. I guess I’ll have to stop being lazy and clean those canisters after all.

Regarding the AC 110's. "I have two" initially they are noisy, but allowed enough time to gunk up they quiet down substantially.
The lid is another point of potential noise. You got to attach it firmly, with the molded plastic lip hanging over the back.
The intake tube tends to vibrate and rattle if it is not seated firmly inside the box.
The intake tube adjustment lever needs to be firmly positioned to the left; the max flow position.
Now for my super secret technique for quiet running AC 110's. Place three small aquarium multi-purpose suction cups between the AC 110 and the top plastic rim of the tank. The rubber suction cups absorb the vibration between the AC 110 and the tank. It might take several weeks to completely quiet down.

I never use lids on my AC’s. I always made sure the intake tube was seated properly. I’ve been running AC’s on my tanks for years. I have the 20, 30, 50, and a couple of 70’s. They are all super quiet. These 110’s are loud, and it seems to be coming from the motor, not the housing. I even sent the first one I bought back for an exchange, and there wasn’t much difference with the replacement. Also, I have to keep the water level practically to the top of the rim, or the splashing drives me nuts. Running one 110 isn’t too noisy though, and I like it for polishing the tank and helping out with filtering.
Good idea with the suction cups. I’ll have to check that out.

Both of my 110's were so noisy until I decoded the listed combination of quarks. I have to keep the lids installed due to the likely possibility of kids dropping foreign objects in. Lol.
I'm very tempted to buy a FX4 canister, but I can't get over the anxiety of a spontaneous unseen leak and the realization of the PITA extra maintenence.

Try pushing the impeller shaft with something hard farther into motor seat.
I have over 30 Aqua Clears and 1 50 made more noise then I could handle .It took me forever to figure..I pushed the shaft with my finger ...No change .I pushed one day in frustration with a pencil[eraser tip] and it went down 3/16 -1/4 inch and the filter has been as quiet as all my other since ... Also make sure impeller blades are all in tact and not causing it to rattle from unbalance...
Hope this helps ..
I am very tempted to try one of the fluval G series canister filter$ myself . They can have media cleaned while unit stays connected !

Try pushing the impeller shaft with something hard farther into motor seat.
I have over 30 Aqua Clears and 1 50 made more noise then I could handle .It took me forever to figure..I pushed the shaft with my finger ...No change .I pushed one day in frustration with a pencil[eraser tip] and it went down 3/16 -1/4 inch and the filter has been as quiet as all my other since ... Also make sure impeller blades are all in tact and not causing it to rattle from unbalance...
Hope this helps ..
I am very tempted to try one of the fluval G series canister filter$ myself . They can have media cleaned while unit stays connected !

Next water change I’m on it. I hope that will solve the problem. Thanks so much for the info.

I was thinking of making a pre filter for my canister on my next setup. Im looking for a smaller canister I can just keep bio media in but prior to that I want to take PVC, caps, and barb fitting to make a small container water will go through first filled with floss. Then when that is dirty, Ill turn off the in/out valves, disconnect it and change that.

I might even use clear PVC for it.

Not long ago I read about someone else doing something similar.

I think it was like a "box" around the intake allowing for gunk to suck up to it. Trapping more much. It was late at night and I just breezed through it info as it was incidental to the topic I was looking at.

A pre filter sponge will work better too, getting 2 so one is easy to remove and replace with a clean one immediately and then clean the old and be ready for the next round.

Back
Top Bottom