Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-27-2011, 07:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

*Sigh* Another problem, ordered wrong skimmer

Well it seems my clueless self has gone and gotten a protein skimmer not appropriate for my 29 gallon tank. It's not a name brand, just a cheapo plastic one with a 530gph pump. The problem lies in that it's internal so it would take up half my tank. Look at the size of that thing LOL

I now realize I have to spend the money. I was looking at remora's with the 1200 maxi jet. It's a hang on and has a small footprint. I don't mind that it would be taller than the tank by a few inches either.

I also looked at the octupus ones but they seem incredibly big for my small setup.

Good question is what do I do with the skimmer now? Think I can find a taker on CL?

Thanks for any input. I will be keeping mostly corals and not fish if that matters.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:52 PM   #2
is back to save the day!

That's a HOB protein skimmer? Looks like an in-sump skimmer to me.. Just because there's no bend in the PVC to accommodate having the pump in the tank and the skimmer on the back. I would say definitely try and list it on CL or ebay or on a local forum, just to see if you can get anything for it.

I had an octopus HOB protein skimmer on my 55G and it was an amazing skimmer. Worked like a charm.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yeah the Octopus gets great reviews, just worried about the size. It's a bit cheaper than the remora but def bigger.

The skimmer is an inside hang on. the mount is on the backside. Like I said, I did a dumb thing. LOL But I'll fix it.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Amazon.com: AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer with Maxi-Jet 1200 Pump: Kitchen & Dining
Old 02-27-2011, 08:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
the remora is not worth the money IME. go with the octo HOB, or just do weekly water changes and skip the skimmer. doing a water change on a 29 is not too big a deal.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I was intending on doing PWC weekly anyway. You really don't think I'll need it? I do want to add a good amount of corals and maybe 3 fish at some point so I want the best water quality I can get. If it costs $$ so be it.

Which octopus would be the best for me? Theres so many. I know I don't want a sump model but the HOB section is kinda big
Old 02-27-2011, 08:49 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

This is the closest I can find:

Reef Octopus Hang-on-the-Back Skimmer | Reef Octopus | Protein Skimmers | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com
Old 02-27-2011, 08:52 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i live about an hour from that store. great store!
i think that if you stock reasonably, and feed reasonably, you can do without a protein skimmer on that little tank.

Tags
skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com