Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-19-2010, 10:27 PM   #1

POTM Champion

Silence aquaclear 110?

i just got an aquaclear 110 and its in the room i sleep in. its not loud, nothing is rattling or anything but i can still hear the hum of the impeller motor.

does anyone know of a way to make this quieter?

i was thinking about adding foam around the filter to dampen the noise, but i dont know

Old 12-20-2010, 02:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I had a fish tank in the room I slept in, had to move it, the constant hum bothered me. Good luck!!
Gail

Old 12-20-2010, 04:40 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Moved to General Hardware and equipment discussion.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:10 PM   #4
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've used a piece of 1" foam cut to shape and placed in between the filter and the tank instead of the plastic doohickie.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:33 AM   #5

I have always found that a tank is best situated in somewhere other than a bedroom, if possible...

That said, my 110 is dead silent compared to the Aqueon that supplements it in my tank -- the "QuietFlow" 55 Aqueon is nothing of the sort, making a loud racket between the splashing of the so-called "bio bar" that is supposed to polish the water upon return and the motor in this thing...NOT quiet AT ALL.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:15 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you want a super quiet filter then you need to look at external canister filters.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:42 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage_Winter View Post
I have always found that a tank is best situated in somewhere other than a bedroom, if possible...

I agree completely! It was a soothing sound for studying though. In my college apt I had a 55gallon with a 125gallon-rated wet/dry filter. That thing was so loud! Kept the tank extremely clean, so it was worth it.

uscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:08 PM   #8

POTM Champion

i figured out a way to silence it.

i bought a sheet of foam board.

cut out an enclosure that surrounds the filter on all sides and filled the gap between the filter and enclosure with foam.

can barely hear it
Old 12-21-2010, 05:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscamaro View Post
I agree completely! It was a soothing sound for studying though. In my college apt I had a 55gallon with a 125gallon-rated wet/dry filter. That thing was so loud! Kept the tank extremely clean, so it was worth it.
Indeed, Camaro...some do make a soothing hum (the AquaClears are in this category from what I can tell) and it's more than tolerable...but alot, like my cartridge-loaded Aqueon, make a racket that is FAR from quiet, despite what their marketing claims...

Still, I don't recommend keeping a tank in an area where you're going to sleep, unless it's absolutely unavoidable -- in a house, for example, a tank should be anywhere but in a bedroom unless the residents MUST have it there because they MUST look at the fish at night, whatever...but see in my situation, we have a two story, four bedroom house and we keep the tank in an upstairs loft area that's like a relaxing lounge...between the splashings of the filters, the jazz music played on our stereo system up there and the recliners, this room puts you to sleep within minutes...

When it's a dorm, small apartment or a kid's room, keeping a tank away from a sleeping area is near impossible. I realize this. It's just best to keep them out of a sleeping area whenever possible due to the unavoidable noise of air pumps, filters, splashings, etc.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:00 PM   #10
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

We have 2 tanks (75G & 8G) in the bedroom and don't have a problem unless the (topless evap king) 75 is past due for a water change. To each their own....

Sounds like a good fix 360. Nice!

Tags
aquaclear, clear

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com