Silicone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Openbrain

Aquarium Advice Activist
Whats the best aquarium silicone?

How do you determine what type to use based on tank total volume? ( i see some silicones are only rated for 30 gallons or less)

Is it really easy to make an aquarium?

Whats the best aquarium silicone?

How do you determine what type to use based on tank total volume? ( i see some silicones are only rated for 30 gallons or less)

Is it really easy to make an aquarium?
GE silicone is probable the best. Make sure its 100% silicone which ever brand you use. I kind of think you need to know what your doing if your making your own tank one mistake and you could have alot of water and fish on the floor. Plus by time you buy all the material it would probable cost you close to the same without the risk.

tonedogz said:
GE silicone is probable the best. Make sure its 100% silicone which ever brand you use. I kind of think you need to know what your doing if your making your own tank one mistake and you could have alot of water and fish on the floor. Plus by time you buy all the material it would probable cost you close to the same without the risk.

I wanna try :).

Ill run it in the garage for a month before i move it in doors:)))

christine2012 said:
I use GE Silicone I. Its been great so far

Im so excited

What type of glass, where did you get it.

Again is there a chart for the depth of the glass vra gallons it will hold

Openbrain said:
Im so excited

What type of glass, where did you get it.

Again is there a chart for the depth of the glass vra gallons it will hold

I have no experience in building tanks. I just know that that is the recommended silicone to use with all things aquatic.

I would not use ge silicone to make a glass aquarium. Patch jobs, baffles for sumps, no problem.

But to make an aquarium I'd go with an RTV 100 series silicone. It's industrial strength and much much stronger than ge and will hold up to the water weight of an aquarium.

AquaRick said:
I would not use ge silicone to make a glass aquarium. Patch jobs, baffles for sumps, no problem.

But to make an aquarium I'd go with an RTV 100 series silicone. It's industrial strength and much much stronger than ge and will hold up to the water weight of an aquarium.

Awesome!

I recently resealed my 55 gallon with GE silicone. Made sure the stuff I got was 100% silicone and didn't have the anti-mold/mildew stuff in it. I scraped out the old stuff, taped everything out, and resealed. Then I let it dry 48 hours. After 48 hours I filled it with about 3 inches of water and let it sit for a few hours to make sure there were no leaks on the bottom. Then I added my substrate, decor, and filled it the rest of the way up.

brc81 said:
I recently resealed my 55 gallon with GE silicone. Made sure the stuff I got was 100% silicone and didn't have the anti-mold/mildew stuff in it. I scraped out the old stuff, taped everything out, and resealed. Then I let it dry 48 hours. After 48 hours I filled it with about 3 inches of water and let it sit for a few hours to make sure there were no leaks on the bottom. Then I added my substrate, decor, and filled it the rest of the way up.

Wow so brave! Ok i am going to give it a shot. I looked up the other silicones you all listed about and my father work for Dow and it was a great product. I compared prices and it was $7 for the tube 10oz

Thousands of tanks have been built using GE Silicone I. There is a stronger product from GE, SCS1200 series, that would be preferable for larger tanks, and is reputed to be what manufacturers use. A little harder to find, than GE I, but available where the trades shop. Is the RTV 100 not also a GE product?

Wow so brave! Ok i am going to give it a shot. I looked up the other silicones you all listed about and my father work for Dow and it was a great product. I compared prices and it was $7 for the tube 10oz

Dow makes good silicone also (available under several brand names as is GE), and you will find that the caulking gun tubes cost about the same as the little squeeze tubes.
Building a tank is not difficult, although the cost of materials usually make it more costly than buying a tank. if you can get glass for free. or very cheap it makes sense.

BillD said:
Dow makes good silicone also (available under several brand names as is GE), and you will find that the caulking gun tubes cost about the same as the little squeeze tubes.
Building a tank is not difficult, although the cost of materials usually make it more costly than buying a tank. if you can get glass for free. or very cheap it makes sense.

It's going to be a gift for my Daddy. I get my tank wholesale so I know they are cheaper;)

Back
Top Bottom