Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-29-2011, 03:43 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

you can wear tight fitting nitrile gloves to help avoid the mess. Try not t put too much silicone on or you won't be able to give it a nice finish. This is a case where more is not necessarily better. If you gun in too big of a bead you will end up with a bulky edge rather than one that is feathered/blended in. I sort of made this mistake with a 90. I used less than one tube on it even with a huge bead so 2 tubes should be sufficient. If you aren't comfortable with caulking, buy some cheap caulk and practice on a cardboard box.
the most important step is the stripping out. You need to assure you have removed all the old silicone. Once you are sure you have gotten it all, get a new blade and go over it all again. On a tank that size I would have a helper to assist in rolling the tank to make it easier to apply the silicone.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:40 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok. I started cutting all the seams out - I got most of it out but now there's all these little pieces stuck everywhere - they don't really wipe out easily. What's the best way to get all that out?

Old 07-29-2011, 04:50 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzy
Ok. I started cutting all the seams out - I got most of it out but now there's all these little pieces stuck everywhere - they don't really wipe out easily. What's the best way to get all that out?
Rubbing alcohol and sharp razorblades.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:43 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

The rubbing alcohol will do nothing to aid in the removal of the silicone, but is used to clean the joint prior to applying the new silicone. Keep at it with the razor blades. If you are referring to little bits stuck to the glass after removal, try a vacuum to get them out of the tank.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:56 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD
The rubbing alcohol will do nothing to aid in the removal of the silicone, but is used to clean the joint prior to applying the new silicone. Keep at it with the razor blades. If you are referring to little bits stuck to the glass after removal, try a vacuum to get them out of the tank.
Yea I forgot to add the rubbing alcohol was for the residue left behind. Shot vac an razor blades are best for those little pieces.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:46 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Is this the right stuff?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1548613856.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	45758  
Old 07-30-2011, 12:09 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yes, that's it, and two tubes should be plenty. I just redid a 50 long and I used almost one whole tube but I put it on too thick. Getting all the old stuff out with all the cleaning and scraping is the most work. It's all in the prep.
Don't scrimp on the elbow grease.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:06 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolero
Yes, that's it, and two tubes should be plenty. I just redid a 50 long and I used almost one whole tube but I put it on too thick. Getting all the old stuff out with all the cleaning and scraping is the most work. It's all in the prep.
Don't scrimp on the elbow grease.
Yeah, tell me about it

Tags
seal, seals, silicone

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com