Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-23-2005, 05:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Simple Berlin sump advice

Hello Folks,

Really need you help now. I've been planning this project for over a month now and want to get it right and running the first time around.

I'll be building my first sump (will use 20g high glass tank) for my 60g 48x15x18 display and stuck on baffles and water level. It will be going inside a 28" high stand. I'm still open for suggestions on sump size and dimensions - should i go with a 20g long 30x12x12 (might not be tall enough) or 29g 30x12x18. Some has suggested the bigger the better for more water volume and room for refuge (I haven't kept coral before so I don't know how important a refuge is)

I already purchased the following:
Mag 7 pump
1/10 Arctica chiller
SCWD wave maker

I was planning on routing the return pump (in-sump) to chiller then SCWD

Based on your posts I'll be getting the following:
LifeReef overflow box - should i go with the 4" or slim 3" model?
- should i get the aquasilencer

Euro-Reef CS5-2 skimmer - should i opt for the CS5-3 rated for 90g. Same as CS5-2 but 4" taller

Ok know here's where I'm really clueless:

How many baffle strips do I need and how high should they be. I'm assuming that it would be dependent on the sump water level. I don't have a clue on this except that there should be enough room in case of power failure.

acalayag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 01:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
The number of baffles should not make a difference in a power failure. Just make sure that there is enough room in your sump to handle all the water that will empty from your main tank when/if the power goes out. You can adjust that amount by moving your overflow box up or down, to either allow less water or more water into it. Once the tank empties below that level, no more water will empty into the sump.

As far as the skimmer, you can not over skim. Euro Reef makes awesome skimmers, I am waiting on my CS6-2+ to get here.

AndyH5512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 06:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Thanks for you comments Andy. I guess my question (might be stupid) about baffles and water level is not the number but the positioning. What is the optimal height (i.e. how many inches below intended sump water level)
acalayag is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com