siphon eshopps oveflow box

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rncarter

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently installed a eshopps pf-800 overflow on my 90g tank. I am however having a hard time getting it to keep a constant siphon. I always I find myself having to suck out the air everyday. Is there a recommended way to get this siphon started and remain constant?

rncarter said:

Yep there you go. Your return pump is not strong enough. Your return pump decides the flow of the overflow box. If your overflow is rated at 800gph, then your rio is not getting anywhere near it. I didnt look it up but i dont think that pump goes more than 300-400gph. You need to at leat match the 800 or have more so that you can have room for adjustment.

When a pump flows water upward, it loses power and the flow rate decreases. With ever foot of overhead (head) that your pump climbs, the gph output is decreases. So if your pump is rates at 375gph and it travels from your sump, 4 feet above the rim of your tank, then your final output might only be 230gph.

The final output for your 800gph overflow needs to be over 800gph. I would recommend a mag9 which is 900gph but with the four foot head should still give you around 800gph.

When there is not enough power in the overflow airbubbles are created and once it builds up the siphon will fail and stop.

Yep as above.I have the same overflow box,the only reasons this would happen are:

pump not powerful enough
pump filter blocked

It is definately flow related.If I find any bubbles staying in the syphon on mine it is due to the pump filter needing cleaning,also the gargling gets slightly louder

six2sevenproductions said:
Yep there you go. Your return pump is not strong enough. Your return pump decides the flow of the overflow box. If your overflow is rated at 800gph, then your rio is not getting anywhere near it. I didnt look it up but i dont think that pump goes more than 300-400gph. You need to at leat match the 800 or have more so that you can have room for adjustment.

When a pump flows water upward, it loses power and the flow rate decreases. With ever foot of overhead (head) that your pump climbs, the gph output is decreases. So if your pump is rates at 375gph and it travels from your sump, 4 feet above the rim of your tank, then your final output might only be 230gph.

The final output for your 800gph overflow needs to be over 800gph. I would recommend a mag9 which is 900gph but with the four foot head should still give you around 800gph.

When there is not enough power in the overflow airbubbles are created and once it builds up the siphon will fail and stop.

The magazine drive is pricey are there any recommended alternative?

Try your local fish store and see if they have any used pumps they can sell you. You can use multiple smaller pumps. You can also try craigslist, people in this hobby always have used pumps lying around.

Try your local fish store and see if they have any used pumps they can sell you. You can use multiple smaller pumps. You can also try craigslist, people in this hobby always have used pumps lying around.

I bought the mag drive 9.5 today.

rncarter said:
I bought the mag drive 9.5 today.

I started some plumbing work with the first pump, using 3/4 PVC. Would I still be able to continue working with the 3/4 PVC or for I need to use 1" instead?

you'd have to check the spec on the pump but I think I remember someone saying it says to use larger then 3/4" from the pump.

David S said:
you'd have to check the spec on the pump but I think I remember someone saying it says to use larger then 3/4" from the pump.

The manual that came with the pump said that the best flow is achieved with hose size 1.5" as anyone used 3/4 hose/PVC with this pump?

Also, assuming you are using a sump what is the head height? If your pump is in the sump on the floor and your tank about 4feet. I would recommend at least a mag 9

I changed the pump to a Triton 4 1050gph and the siphoning of the overflow and tank flow is going great so far. I am just trying to get my Skimmer level right

Back
Top Bottom