Siphon help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gusanova43

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a rio 3100 pump in the sump system that is designed for a 100 gallon tank my tank is 85 gallons I can't get it to siphon I took all the proper steps on the instructions provided I get it going it's primed and flowing but when I pull the small hose that I use to suck the air out off the u tube connecting the overflow boxes it stops I'm wondering if there is a better effective technique or am I missing some hardware of some sort

I'm assuming you're using a HOB style overflow?

You need to make sure there's ample water on both sides of the siphon tube, so that as you start the siphon and fill the tube with water it cannot collect any air as the water is pulled out of both the inner and outer boxes of the HOB.

Oh, and Welcome to AA!

Is there a ring or seal of some sort that I should be putting on either end of the u tube cause it just sits there the end in the tank itself is plain and the end in the overflow has a piece of PVC inside a sponge like sleeve

As neilanh stated,when you suck out the air you need to keep pouring water into the boxes so the water level in the boxes stays above the opening of the syphon at both ends,once the air is out,as long as both boxes has water in it shouldn't loose syphon.

also the sponge is a sleeve which goes over the pipe that goes down to the sump,its a filter,to help clean the water and also keep any snails from getting down the pipe(believe me they can get down there)

Back
Top Bottom