siphon starter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fed34

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi.....I have recently set up a 5 gallon tank and was talked in to purchasing the fluvial edge gravel cleaner w/ the 15 inch intake tube to clean it. I really do like the fact that I do not have to submerge my hands in the water, but good grief I'm giving my fish a mini heart attack trying to get the suction started. And so far I have not been able to in fact start it either. :(
Yes, I'm aware of the plug the end, dip in, fill up, etc method... but that is a bit awkward for me to do as I only have the use of one hand/arm. i understand those siphon starter bulbs are extremely helpful for this, but I'm honestly not sure which one will fit this fluval edge 15 inch? Fluval does have a vac with a bulb already on it, but my understanding is that is that one is for a much larger tank then my 5 gallon. I do see on amazon that Lee's sells one separately.. will it fit this gravel cleaner?

LOL, I had to google the fluvial edge gravel cleaner . Anyway, stick the large tube into the gravel against the corner so it stands up. Suck (really, using your mouth suck) on the tube, once you see the water start flowing stick the tube in a bucket or something to catch the water, The siphon will continue until you remove the larger tube from the water.

You should be able to do this with one hand. Since you have 15' of tubing, you could use your foot to step on the tube to control the water flow. When cleaning gravel, sometimes its best to slow the flow so the rocks fall back down and you can start in another spot.

Thank you for replying :) I asked the same thing on another forum and someone suggested I search ebay for the "8mm Universal Syphon Hand Fuel Primer Gas Pump Diesel Petrol for Marine Boat" I did ...and it works perfectly!

Last edited by a moderator:
That sounds similar to the hand fuel pump I use for small tanks. I do find either bare bottom tanks or heavy gravel can be handy if the flow rate is too strong and the siphon can't be adjusted.

A easy way to get a siphon going is fill the tube at the sink put a thumb over each end as you add one to the tank and remove thumb from that end hold the other end down over the bucket remove your thumb instant siphon

That's a great idea, especially as I find the bulb siphons can eventually crack on the bulb, let in air and not work. Usually part way through a water change :(

Yea , except the OP said he only has use of one hand .

Back
Top Bottom