siphoning downstairs.. help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paytertot

Aquarium Advice Addict
My new fish tank is downstairs. The only sink that will attach to my siphon is upstairs. Obviously it would fill it up but not suck it back upstairs. So I have no idea what to do... Please help :(

paytertot said:
My new fish tank is downstairs. The only sink that will attach to my siphon is upstairs. Obviously it would fill it up but not suck it back upstairs. So I have no idea what to do... Please help :(

Can you just siphon out the window or something? The filling up is harder IMO so at least you have that covered. When I do a water change on my saltwater tank I just stick the hose out the window.

Convict2161 said:
Can you just siphon out the window or something? The filling up is harder IMO so at least you have that covered. When I do a water change on my saltwater tank I just stick the hose out the window.

How do I start the siphon? It's a huge hose lol I'd rather not redneck it

I have a tank in my basement and had similar issues. I got an aqueon water changer. I fill it from the upstairs sink. To drain it, I run the aqueon hose out the basement window and attach it to my garden hose faucet. It creates enough suction to drain the tank.

CraigMac said:
I have a tank in my basement and had similar issues. I got an aqueon water changer. I fill it from the upstairs sink. To drain it, I run the aqueon hose out the basement window and attach it to my garden hose faucet. It creates enough suction to drain the tank.

Well my dad says I can't use the faucet out there because something is wrong with it and it floods or something

What about a pump? They sell small pumps you can attach the pump to one end and put the other end out the window or in the tub or something. The pump will pull enough to make it upstairs.

Convict2161 said:
What about a pump? They sell small pumps you can attach the pump to one end and put the other end out the window or in the tub or something. The pump will pull enough to make it upstairs.

Hmm that might work. If I were shopping for this, what exactly would I be looking for and is it something at a pet store?

Wait.. if I had the pump I could just use it to keep a siphon going and then I could run it into the downstairs tub and not need it to go upstairs couldn't I?

paytertot said:
Hmm that might work. If I were shopping for this, what exactly would I be looking for and is it something at a pet store?

Wait.. if I had the pump I could just use it to keep a siphon going and then I could run it into the downstairs tub and not need it to go upstairs couldn't I?

Yup that would work :)

Great! I will look into that. What about just buying one of those vacs with the hand pump? The distance from tank to tub is like maybe 15 feet

paytertot said:
Great! I will look into that. What about just buying one of those vacs with the hand pump? The distance from tank to tub is like maybe 15 feet

That would work also.

Back
Top Bottom