Skimmer advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stlrockguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm setting up a frag tank that will have around a total volume of 40 gallons. Skimmer section in sump 10x11 about 8 inches of water also.

My sump is a two chamber and the second chamber is drilled for an external pump. I could run that to a skimmer instead if a return. My mag 5 can be used either way

it sounds good. the pump is a 600+ gallon per hour pump. I wouldn't run an external skimmer if I had the chance- I have had skimmers overflow on me for all sorts of reasons, and I wouldn't want it to drain my sump dry. with an in sump skimmer, the worst that can happen is your skimmate is put back in the tank. Not the end of the world.

I ordered the one I posted. Do you think the 600gph pump is to much/little. The frag system is about 40 gallons. I'm going to run my mag 5 externally with a ball valve and a t which will run my reactor also

Well, how much flow will you divert to the reactor? After head loss I imagine the mag 5 to be sending up about 350 gph, minus the reactor...Not much turnover IMO. Your skimmer won't ever reach it's full efficiency because it's not going to be fed anywhere near the water it can process.

img_2872637_0_c0a68818dbf6dd56d396227a625fe0a6.jpg

This is the frag tank system I'm working on. Tao led for it. The mag 5 which will get upgraded and the skimmer

Back
Top Bottom