Skimmer Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gregmitch

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Just after some advice on skimmers, I currently have a Deltec MCE600 "hang on the tank" skimmer, which has been working well since I got it 2 1/2 years ago. However all of a sudden it is not performing adequately and causing serious problems in my tank. The collection cup although containing some detritus is not as full as it used to be, the dirt is collecting all around the sides of the skimmer and falling back into the water to be pumped back into the tank (Not Good!!!).

Questions are:

1. Is there anything I can do to fix it!
2. Should I get a new skimmer.
3. If I should get a new skimmer any recommendations would be appreciated for ones that I can install with a minimum of disruption to my tank.

hmm....have you cleaned it out recently? I thik I would try taking it off the tank and giving it a good cleaning, see if that makes a difference. It sounds like it's not producing the bubbes that it used to which could mean the pump isn't moving as much water due to a clog or something.

I removed it and gave it a thorough cleaning a week ago and it appears to have made no difference, the detritus is still collecting in the skimmer rather than the collecting vessel.

I have just lowered the vessel further down into the skimmer body to see if that makes a difference, will have to wait and see.

Back
Top Bottom