Skimmer and return pump question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KevinM

Aquarium Advice Activist
When picking a skimmer, do you Add the Sump to the tank size too? or just the tank size?

I have the 75 gallon and Im getting, this next paid day a 40G Breeder to make a sump(over kill yes but I like overfiltering hehe)

Do I need the skimmer for a 75 gallon or do I need one for a 120g?

Also, is there a way to tell how much flow a Overflow can take? the lady I bought this tank from had a 780gph return pump, but for a 75 gallon IMHO that seems really really low, I was thinking of a Mag Drive 9.5(which will run about 900gph or a Mag Drive 12(1180ish) I have about 2 maybe 3 feet with the hose and return pipe, which is why I was thinking of going bigger.

Thanks!

It's usually recommended to double your tank size when picking a skimmer. So for a 75 gallon it should have a skimmer rated for 150 gallons or more. As for your overflow is it a drilled tank or does it have a hang on overflow?

A one inch drain is 600gph at full syphon so that pump you have is close to the biggest you can use. I don't think you need a bigger one anyways for your setup. And if you still want more flow just add to the dt.

Back
Top Bottom