Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-27-2012, 09:25 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

The videos on youtube are what I watched to set it up since the instructions it came with were less than helpful. Only problem is that they don't show how to do adjustments. Started searching last night and found some posts on this and other forums about how to adjust it and it is indeed done by moving the collection cup either up or down depending on if you want a wet or dry skim.

How does this sound for a plan? I am going to ditch the HOB and keep a really close eye on my parameters over the next few days to watch for a spike. Instead of doing a 20g water change, I think I will do a larger one and see if I can get the nitrates down substantially, continuing to monitor parameters closely afterwards and if they don't climb, I know I "fixed" the problem by ditching the hob. If they climb back up, well, then I guess I'll be picking your brains some more.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:31 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeladawng View Post
The videos on youtube are what I watched to set it up since the instructions it came with were less than helpful. Only problem is that they don't show how to do adjustments. Started searching last night and found some posts on this and other forums about how to adjust it and it is indeed done by moving the collection cup either up or down depending on if you want a wet or dry skim.

How does this sound for a plan? I am going to ditch the HOB and keep a really close eye on my parameters over the next few days to watch for a spike. Instead of doing a 20g water change, I think I will do a larger one and see if I can get the nitrates down substantially, continuing to monitor parameters closely afterwards and if they don't climb, I know I "fixed" the problem by ditching the hob. If they climb back up, well, then I guess I'll be picking your brains some more.
Ya thats a good plan id remove it for a couple days then test im almost certain thats the issue anyone that has hob filters and nitrate issues 9/10 times hob is culprit good luck

Old 12-27-2012, 10:35 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbstrong View Post
Ya thats a good plan id remove it for a couple days then test im almost certain thats the issue anyone that has hob filters and nitrate issues 9/10 times hob is culprit good luck
Removed hob and took test results....

Ammonia: 0
pH: 8.2
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: almost 80?

Can't believe nitrates are that high...have a big cuc and thought they can't handle high nitrates? If it's really that high, wouldn't they be goners?
I am using API test kit and have read everywhere that they are notorious for showing high results.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:41 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Removed hob and took test results....

Ammonia: 0
pH: 8.2
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: almost 80?

Can't believe nitrates are that high...have a big cuc and thought they can't handle high nitrates? If it's really that high, wouldn't they be goners?
I am using API test kit and have read everywhere that they are notorious for showing high results.
If its high for to long ya itll stress inverts out waterchange and test id change water maybe 10% each day for a week
Old 12-27-2012, 11:03 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Now it's off to the utility room to get me some water goin'.....will keep posting results.....
Old 12-27-2012, 11:10 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Now it's off to the utility room to get me some water goin'.....will keep posting results.....
Dont stress take your time one thing make sure when your doin aggressive waterchanges is make sur makeup water is same params as tank several wc's with params off a lil each time can throw system in shock in a weeks time
Old 12-29-2012, 01:31 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

ok...so I took the hob off the other night like I said I was going to....didn't do anything with it yesterday and just tested the water today....nitrates are down by HALF compared to the other night. PWC today and going to test again tonight. FINALLY headed in the right direction (crossing fingers)
Old 12-29-2012, 02:39 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
ok...so I took the hob off the other night like I said I was going to....didn't do anything with it yesterday and just tested the water today....nitrates are down by HALF compared to the other night. PWC today and going to test again tonight. FINALLY headed in the right direction (crossing fingers)
Good deal
Old 01-01-2013, 02:47 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

ok...I just don't get it....I changed 18 gallons on Saturday, tested today and trates are back up to 40 or more...going to change another 25 tomorrow and see what reading is. Could my test kit be bad?? It doesn't expire until 2017 but I don't see how doing all these water changes is not bringing down the level of nitrates. I'm averaging 2 pwc's a week for the past month. My ammonia is 0, pH is 8.1, Nitrite is 0...only trates are high. Will take a water sample to lfs tomorrow and see what they get. It can't be the water I am making...I am testing it before I add salt with my freshwater kit and getting 0 nitrate reading and then after I put salt in and mix it overnight testing with salt kit and getting 0 reading so it's got to be something else.

I bought 2 more Koralia's today off ebay and they will be here this week sometime so that I can get more flow. Right now I have 2 1050's, one pointing across live rock and the other pointing up at top of water to get gas exchange. My fish and all inverts seem to be very happy (as far as I can tell) and crabs are all growing (they have all changed shells since I put them in a few weeks ago) Common sense tells me if something is stressed and not well it won't grow. Even my shrimp are growing.....I might sound like an idiot by saying that, but I am just at a total loss here and don't know what to do. I want to get some softies but there is no way I can with trates supposedly that high
Old 01-01-2013, 03:42 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
ok...I just don't get it....I changed 18 gallons on Saturday, tested today and trates are back up to 40 or more...going to change another 25 tomorrow and see what reading is. Could my test kit be bad?? It doesn't expire until 2017 but I don't see how doing all these water changes is not bringing down the level of nitrates. I'm averaging 2 pwc's a week for the past month. My ammonia is 0, pH is 8.1, Nitrite is 0...only trates are high. Will take a water sample to lfs tomorrow and see what they get. It can't be the water I am making...I am testing it before I add salt with my freshwater kit and getting 0 nitrate reading and then after I put salt in and mix it overnight testing with salt kit and getting 0 reading so it's got to be something else.

I bought 2 more Koralia's today off ebay and they will be here this week sometime so that I can get more flow. Right now I have 2 1050's, one pointing across live rock and the other pointing up at top of water to get gas exchange. My fish and all inverts seem to be very happy (as far as I can tell) and crabs are all growing (they have all changed shells since I put them in a few weeks ago) Common sense tells me if something is stressed and not well it won't grow. Even my shrimp are growing.....I might sound like an idiot by saying that, but I am just at a total loss here and don't know what to do. I want to get some softies but there is no way I can with trates supposedly that high
Check your source water

Tags
questions, ro/di, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com