Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-17-2012, 06:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

skimmer and ro/di questions

Hi folks!

I am wondering if I can remove my emporer 400 HOB? I got a reef octopus bh2000 on Friday night and it's been doing well so far (pics below of what it's been pulling out) I think the hob has been causing my high nitrates...have been battling for a while now to get them down and I was just reading that if you have a good skimmer, live rock and circulation, you really don't need a hob filter.

My parameters are: ammonia and nitrites 0, Ph 8.0 and nitrates between 20-30. I did a pwc last night and one last Sunday as well. Last Sunday they were over 40 so I am making progress to get them down.

Also, just installed a RO/DI system in my laundry room and flushed it according to the instructions, then made 1st batch of new saltwater and used it to do yesterday's pwc. (so refreshing to not have to pay for water at the lfs) Problem is, my water has been cloudy since the change last night. Can I put some water clarifier in the tank? It was crystal clear before last night, now back to being cloudy???? don't know if I didn't flush the system long enough or what happened? I followed the directions exactly.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

here's pics of what skimmer has been pulling out....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001 (2).jpg
Views:	99
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	138233   Click image for larger version

Name:	003 (3).jpg
Views:	94
Size:	236.2 KB
ID:	138234  

Old 12-26-2012, 03:43 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Yes to removing the HOB filter. Are you running carbon? In my experience, those "water clarifiers" don't do much.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:03 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Running with just a skimmer is fine and does work but keep in mind when you remove the HOB you remove a lot of surface area colonized by BB so depending on your stocklist and feeding schedule you could experience a small-large spike in parameters. As for the cloudy water, it sounds like you may have mixed the salt wrong in a sense. Did you dump all the salt in at once or add the water to the bucket with the salt already in it? The cloudiness if in your mix bucket is either gonna be unmixed salt or calcium carbonate (may be the wrong name lol) suspended in the water from the massive fluctuations in alkalinity and calcium while mixing.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:57 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ewwww why did ya touch it?!?
Old 12-26-2012, 01:08 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I wouldn't add a clarifier.

I would give it a few days. Do you have a TDI meter? If not, you might want to get one to test the water coming out of the RO/DI.

I would give the tank a few days to settle. As long as the salinity is right, I think you should be ok. Sounds like you got some residue from the membranes passing into the water during break in of the RO/DI. This made the water cloudy in your tank. No big deal. I am assuming that you circulated the salt in the RO/DI water for an hour or two before adding (Atleast)?

Also, I wouldn't remove the HOB just yet, if you have been running it for a length of time, especially if it has the bio wheels. I would get the protein skimmer broken in over the course of a month or two, and THEN remove one bio wheel. Wait a month, and then remove the entire HOB from the system.

When you break in a skimmer, it is normal to skim "wet" which is more of a clear sludge.....that's what you have there. Over time, as you dial it in adjusting the water level, you will yield a darker skimmate that is closer to motor oil.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:17 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Water cleared up next morning....it was my fault when I poured it in I stirred up the sand.

HOB doesn't have biowheels....I never put them on when I set up the filter after reading in other threads that they should be removed. Still having nitrate issues and I am starting to get really p****d about it and can't figure it out. I spent almost $400 on a skimmer(reef octopus 2000) and RO/DI unit from BRS, and to me, that's a lot of money to still be having issues with nitrates considering all the time and energy I put into this tank...it's like having a second full time job.

I change 20 gallons every week and siphon the sand when I do changes. I have a pretty big cuc in my opinion. My fish seem to be thriving as well as inverts so I can't imagine that my test kit is accurate. I just tested 5 minutes ago and it's reading over 40, which to me is ridiculous.

I have to empty the collection cup on the skimmer daily and I don't know how to adjust it (absolutely NOTHING in the instructions on how to adjust it) and it can't be adjusted via the air tube like my last one. I guess I just move the collection cup up but I don't know.

I'm not so worried about circulation if I take off the HOB because I have 2 Koralia 1050's on it now and can get another one if need be to make up the difference.

I just don't know at this point.....very discouraged
Old 12-27-2012, 02:40 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeladawng View Post
Water cleared up next morning....it was my fault when I poured it in I stirred up the sand.

HOB doesn't have biowheels....I never put them on when I set up the filter after reading in other threads that they should be removed. Still having nitrate issues and I am starting to get really p****d about it and can't figure it out. I spent almost $400 on a skimmer(reef octopus 2000) and RO/DI unit from BRS, and to me, that's a lot of money to still be having issues with nitrates considering all the time and energy I put into this tank...it's like having a second full time job.

I change 20 gallons every week and siphon the sand when I do changes. I have a pretty big cuc in my opinion. My fish seem to be thriving as well as inverts so I can't imagine that my test kit is accurate. I just tested 5 minutes ago and it's reading over 40, which to me is ridiculous.

I have to empty the collection cup on the skimmer daily and I don't know how to adjust it (absolutely NOTHING in the instructions on how to adjust it) and it can't be adjusted via the air tube like my last one. I guess I just move the collection cup up but I don't know.

I'm not so worried about circulation if I take off the HOB because I have 2 Koralia 1050's on it now and can get another one if need be to make up the difference.

I just don't know at this point.....very discouraged
If youve got plenty of liverock imo get rid of that nitrate factory before your battling algae
Old 12-27-2012, 02:42 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbstrong View Post

If youve got plenty of liverock imo get rid of that nitrate factory before your battling algae
Can you adjust the flow coming out of the skimmer?
Old 12-27-2012, 02:11 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

I went to YouTube and searched for bh2000 and found a few set up videos for the skimmer. Maybe search there?

Tags
questions, ro/di, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com