Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-26-2010, 07:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

skimmer brand

What are some of the better brands for in sump skimmers? I have a 75 gal reef tank?

Keith

Old 12-26-2010, 07:54 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Octopus gets high marks for efficiency and cost.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:57 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I too agree with Octopus.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:39 PM   #4

I have an AquaC injection skimmer. The great thing about these is that they can go in sump or remote. I had mine setup right behind my sump with the output dumping into the first section of the sump. This saves lots of space in the sump.

Instead of the usual venturi air injection the water is pumped to the skimmer and then blasted through a chanber of air before it enters the main reaction chamber of the skimmer. You can control the amount of water going in, air going in, and water going out. The collection cup has a drain for the skimmate so you can collect it in a larger container. I am VERY glad I got this skimmer.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i vote octopus as well. excellent skimmers for the money. btw, the usual venturi air injection is an excellent way to mix air and water.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:21 PM   #6

Yes, venturi is a very effective way of mixing air and water for a skimmer, which is exactly why almost every skimmer on the market today uses that method. But that doesn't mean there will never be any more advances or improvements.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:54 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i agree. however, i don't think there has been any advancements or improvements over the venturi as of yet.
you'll have to produce a product that injects more air than it in order for it to be recognized. on the aqua-c website, the only boast is that it can be considered maintenance free.
scfh is the most important factor here, and even though most venturi pumps that are even remotely efficient list the amount of air they pull as a selling point, aqua-c simply states "huge amounts of air".
no offense to you, but i need more data than that before i can promote a product. not to mention i had first hand experience with their "remora" and i found it to be extremely inefficient compared to other skimmers in it's class.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:22 AM   #8

Yes, very different from Remora.

Have you seen one running? If you haven't and get a chance to definitely check it out. I haven't seen anything giving numbers on the amount of air, but I think it at least matches most venturis out there. Blasting water through air definitely brings A LOT of air into the reaction chamber (sorry, no exact numbers on A LOT).

Even if the AquaC at best matches the better venturi skimmers out there the biggest benefit in my opinion is that it doesn't have to sit in the sump. This can save a lot of room in the sump, leaving more room for the fuge, which is obviously very beneficial. This was one of my biggest reasons for choosing it. The other is that when we started one up at the fish shop I was running it was pulling a lot of skimmate within just a couple days.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:47 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Don't Aqua C skimmers use Beckett injectors? When something gets sucked into the pump and into the Beckett it pretty much stops working completely. I had one for about a week and got rid of it. The store I worked at briefly had 2 of them and they weren't the greatest. I'll take the old ASM or Octopus over them any day.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:39 AM   #10

Site with pic of air inlet

Good info on them there, pic in link shows air inlet perfectly.

That is the air inlet on mine and all the ones we used at the shop, never had any clog up. All the sumps were setup to minimize anything getting into the pumps though.

Tags
skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com