Skimmer cleaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Running it a little wet will push some of the waste up from the "neck area" into the collection cup "overflow" itself and prevent waste build up you are experiencing.

Almost all fish stores here in Los Angeles carry Eshopps and swear by it. It is my understanding the company is based in Southern California. Some of the stores will carry Hydor as well but Eshopps seems to be their favorite.

Eshoppes skimmers? They swear by them because there is a lot of profit to be made. What makes a skimmer good is the pump.
This model I would use-
Eshopps Aquarium S 200 Cone Protein Skimmer W Sicce Pump UP TO 200 Gallons | eBay
but not the models with mystery pumps.

Also it think the fact that a company is located in SoCal makes easier for them to carry. For example, I am yet to see a fish store that sells Biocubes here in Los Angeles with Petco being the only exception. Almost all carry JBJ which based here in LA area as well.

Not really, unless it's something like this on your 55....
bk-de-500-e.jpg

That said, I would want something rated for 1.5 to 2 times your total system volume. So, if you want a skimmer for a 180 with 30 sump, get something rated for 300 gallons or so.

That contradicts itself. On one page it says 200 gallons and the next a heavily stocked 250 gallon. That's probably the one I will get.

Not really, unless it's something like this on your 55....

That said, I would want something rated for 1.5 to 2 times your total system volume. So, if you want a skimmer for a 180 with 30 sump, get something rated for 300 gallons or so.

Now that's a skimmer. The ones at the Long Beach aquarium are about 10' tall and must hold 500 gallons each.

The white one is the model I have. Had to drill a hole in the roof to install it. ;-)

Attachments

• image-1955621594.jpg
    image-1955621594.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 57
Back
Top Bottom