Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: Add skimmer to 25 gallon
Yes 10 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-18-2005, 08:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to magnaflow
skimmer for 25 gallon?

Is it worth putting one in. I hear some people say yes and some say no

Old 10-18-2005, 09:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

a skimmer is always worth putting on a tank.

Old 10-18-2005, 10:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to arminkropp
Lando is Right! Its a good investment. Considering some of the troubles that might arise with the build up of Nitrates. IMHO I think on a 10gal you could get away with it cause the water changes should do it but on a 25 I would get one.

I also see your a fellow Canuck. Where are you getting your equipment from? www.jlaquatics.com good Canadian store with great prices. I live in Manitoba and get all my stuff from them in BC. Special of the month is free shipping for orders over $100
Old 10-18-2005, 10:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have seen there site and plan to order stuff from them but there i sa lfs that is pretty good. They acutaly take care of there fish and know what there talking about.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:11 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I always but livestock locally. I just use JL Aquatics for equipment. I did buy my LR from them though. The final shipped price worked to $5.40/LB so it was cheaper than getting it in the city for 7.00 plus GST+PST
Old 10-19-2005, 02:40 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'll glue this thread together. I just added a Euro-Reef CS6-1 to my 30 gallon system....I purchased it at JL Aquatics. Good skimmer and a good place to purchase. This skimmer replaced my Prism Pro and it immediately solved a cyano algae problem that I battled for nearly a year.

I would have guessed that a skimmer this size on my system would be overkill, but it really worked.
40 Gal Hex, 10 Gal Sump, CPR overflow with Mag 7 return, Maxxima 35 RO/DI, 10K MH pendant, 2 x 15W actinic, 1 yellow tail damsel, 1 high fin goby, 40lbs LR.com rock, 1 red head goby, 1 algae blenny, Leather, blastomussa, sun, and hammer corals, green polyps, carpet anemone, 2 sexy shrimp...and more LR critters than you could imagine in your worst nightmares.... Mantis in 5 gal
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 06:05 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Good Point Brad! Thats another thing, be careful what skimmer you buy, Prism's are cheap and I havent heard too much goos stuff about them. Make up your mind on a skimmer and post back here for insight on models you might want to choose from.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:04 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

ok I got a older skimmer from a friend. was free so cant complain. Says its a "Lee's" protien skimmer. Take the wooden air defuser. Only thing it its apart and the box doesnt really tell ya how to set it up. anyone use these before and know the right way to do it? expecialy with the air lines
Old 10-20-2005, 11:03 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My first ever skimmer used an airstone...I replaced it with a the Prism Pro..which then got replaced by the euro-reef.

Replacing the airstones was too much of a pain for me. As soon as the stone gets a bit old, it stops producing fine bubbles and stops being effective. You'll hate it..but it was worth the price you paid!

40 Gal Hex, 10 Gal Sump, CPR overflow with Mag 7 return, Maxxima 35 RO/DI, 10K MH pendant, 2 x 15W actinic, 1 yellow tail damsel, 1 high fin goby, 40lbs LR.com rock, 1 red head goby, 1 algae blenny, Leather, blastomussa, sun, and hammer corals, green polyps, carpet anemone, 2 sexy shrimp...and more LR critters than you could imagine in your worst nightmares.... Mantis in 5 gal
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
25 gallon, 5 gallon, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com