Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-12-2006, 10:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
skimmer for 55g

well for some reason my prizm skimmer is crapping out, after running good for going on 5 months now all of a sudden it doesnt skim nearly as good as it used to, im constantly having to adjust the air flow,sometimes for no reason after ive adjusted it perfectly overnight it will start over skimming and overflowing the waste compartment back into the aquarium ive come to the assumption this skimmer is a hunk of junk so does anyone have any suggestions on a skimmer for a 55g for under 100 bucks hopefully

Old 04-13-2006, 01:00 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm sorry to hear about your frustration. That would make me pretty mad too. Well for under $100 I would probably go with the Coralife 65 or 125 . If you could come up with about $70 more i would HIGHLY recommend the Aqua C Remora. I have it and its an awsome skimmer. Its really quiet and works great! Also you might want to check out one of the other posts on this page that TheRealFF wrote about the skimmer he wanted. He is in the same boat as you as far as wanting one under $100. Lots of good info on that post. HTH

Old 04-13-2006, 12:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
thanks alot for the reply
Old 04-13-2006, 02:35 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Mine was a little over 100. I think 125 but it was the excalibur. I bought it at my LFS. Pretty darn good skimmer.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 04:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

ASm has the Mini-G, rated for 75 gallons, and there are some on Ebay for slightly above $100. You might want to look into it.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:04 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

just FYI, those Prizm skimmers aren't that great to begin with. Don't be surprised you get significantly more skimmate in the cup with just about any other skimmer (save for skilters and possibly older seaclones).

If the tank isn't over stocked or stocked with messy carnivores, even a CPR bakpak with the maxijet pump would be a sufficient improvment over the prizm.
you can get a factory second CPR for around $100 from www.amekaaquatics.com - it may have a scratch or bubble in the acrylic box, but still functions fine. but because it wasn't pretty enough, they won't sell them at normal price. its not a mechanical defect, just a cosmetic blemish.
since its a skimmer on the back of the tank...who cares?
Old 04-13-2006, 05:31 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a Excalibur too. Only had a little troulbe, but it runs perfectly fine now. It's Great! Gets a lot of junk.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:00 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to vsnsofadrgn
i have the remora and it works great. more expensive, but worth the $. i got mine for $164 on ebay and didnt have to pay shipping.....

hope dies last
vsnsofadrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 06:42 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have the remora pro on my 55 and it's a great skimmer.
Old 04-14-2006, 04:26 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

I also just got a Remora Pro from somebody on eBay and got the shipping for free. Figuring shipping from a regular mail order place would run probably $20 or more, you would only be looking at an extra $40 over your limit of $100 for the regular Remora. Probably a good place to spend the extra money IMO. I was also replacing a Prizm which has been a PITA the whole time I've had it.

Tags
55 gallon, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com