Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-13-2015, 12:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Skimmer gone crazy for no reason???

Woke up this morning to see that my skimmer went nuts overnight and filled the overflow jug with water, again!
What could be causing this? Everything is working as expected, nice dry foam/skimmate production for days and then for no apparent reason it goes wacky and overflows.
It has happened 3 times now, first time I didn't have it set-up to recycle the water and came home to about 3 gallons on the floor. Now I have small hose the re-routes any overflow back into the sump. That works great, thank goodness or I would be mopping the floor right now!!

I know this can happen when certain additives/foods/etc. are used, but this is happening overnight when nothing has been added/done.
I'm perplexed....

so any thoughts on what causes this when for all intents and purposes nothing changed?

By the way it's a DYI air powered skimmer.

Old 03-13-2015, 05:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Is it new? Could it be breaking in? My skimmer did that twice, once about 14 litres. Now it's settled in its never done it again. Fingers crossed

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 03-13-2015, 07:02 PM   #3
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Anything going into the system can do this to a skimmer if it is too much for it to handle. It can range from not rinsing your GFO enough when adding new to a spray to cover up a smell being used in the room. Pin pointing what is going on would be quite difficult. I have a similar problem when a ladybug falls into the tank and dies, for example.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:12 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
Is it new? Could it be breaking in? My skimmer did that twice, once about 14 litres. Now it's settled in its never done it again. Fingers crossed

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
it's been going for about 3 weeks and works great, it just did the overflowing thing a few times and I can't figure out why.
Maybe a bug fell in the tank.

Tags
skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com