Skimmer gone crazy for no reason???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PB_Smith

Aquarium Advice Addict
Woke up this morning to see that my skimmer went nuts overnight and filled the overflow jug with water, again!
What could be causing this? Everything is working as expected, nice dry foam/skimmate production for days and then for no apparent reason it goes wacky and overflows.
It has happened 3 times now, first time I didn't have it set-up to recycle the water and came home to about 3 gallons on the floor. Now I have small hose the re-routes any overflow back into the sump. That works great, thank goodness or I would be mopping the floor right now!!

I know this can happen when certain additives/foods/etc. are used, but this is happening overnight when nothing has been added/done.
I'm perplexed....:blink:

so any thoughts on what causes this when for all intents and purposes nothing changed?

By the way it's a DYI air powered skimmer.

Is it new? Could it be breaking in? My skimmer did that twice, once about 14 litres. Now it's settled in its never done it again. Fingers crossed

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Anything going into the system can do this to a skimmer if it is too much for it to handle. It can range from not rinsing your GFO enough when adding new to a spray to cover up a smell being used in the room. Pin pointing what is going on would be quite difficult. I have a similar problem when a ladybug falls into the tank and dies, for example.

Is it new? Could it be breaking in? My skimmer did that twice, once about 14 litres. Now it's settled in its never done it again. Fingers crossed

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

it's been going for about 3 weeks and works great, it just did the overflowing thing a few times and I can't figure out why.
Maybe a bug fell in the tank.:blink:

Back
Top Bottom