skimmer good or bad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elke

Aquarium Advice Regular
i just bought a used protein skimmer and was wondering if it is good or bad of what i know it is a aquatic ecosystems inc brand it is 23in tall with a rio2500hp pump vernturi driven person said it was rated up to a 300g tank he had it on a 250g so if anyone knows anything about this skimmer please inform me of what you think

Aquatic ecosystems have some nice equipment but I have no experience with any of their skimmers. Sounds simular to the seaclone. If it is, it will probably need some tweeking (with the venturi) and playing with to get to work efficiently. That in no way means it's a bad skimmer. A pic would help.

here's your pics you asked for this is three hours later from putting it in my sump

Attachments

• picture034.jpg
    picture034.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 55
  • picture035.jpg
    picture035.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 54
  • picture036.jpg
    picture036.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 66
From those pics...I would say that the skimmer's working fine...I can't tell the size of the skimate collecton cup on the top of it..Elke..how many inches wide is it and how often do you have to empty it?

I agree it looks like it's working well. You should be seeing a brown sludge collect in the collection cup.

If it is, it will probably need some tweeking (with the venturi) and playing with to get to work efficiently. That in no way means it's a bad skimmer. A pic would help.

fluff wrote about tweeking there as in how or what am i looking to do seems that it is not makeing as much as it was in the first 3 hours of those pics so what and ow do you tweek this thing hahahaha tweeking i feel like tim allen i need mo power :lol:

Having no experience with this particular skimmer, I would give a few weeks to break in before tweeking.

Elke....before you tweek anything, you should know that when you do certain things, it may well cause a protein skimmer to stop foaming....For example, just putting fish food in a tank may cause the skimmer to stop foaming, and so will putting your hand in the tank to, say, move some live rock around or something like that. So, if you did anything like that and the skimmer stopped foaming, just let some time pass...it could take as much as an hour or more for the foaming to start again. Since you already were getting foam from your skimmer, I'd say that it doesn't need any adjustment. At least see if it starts foaming again without any adjustments first.

alright i have waited a while it stopped when i added some water to my tank did'nt know this thing was that darn touchy but i guess live and learn is the key now its foaming again but it seems that the foam only works its way up really slow then kinda burps in to the collection cup is this right or should the faom always come to the top and into the cup and by the way someone asked the size o the cup its about 5in wide and 6-7in tall if this in anyway gives more info all that i can learn will be much thanked

It sounds to me that your skimmer is indeed working just fine. From the size of your cup, it should take about two days or so for a very dark liquid to collect about one inch high in the cup (Maybe to where that black nipple that you have on the side which is for attaching a tube that goes to a canister in case you won't be able to empty the collection cup as often as you'd should.) It is kind of slow, or at least it seems that way. That liquid is very concentrated with polutants so even though it seems slow, it is effectively working for you.

Back
Top Bottom