Skimmer Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeYQM

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm trying to decide on a skimmer for my 30 gal build. I know these units are a bit of overkill, but I want to handle a good bio load. I'm trying to choose between the Super Reef Octopus LX2000S, LX1000S, XP1000S and Deltec MCE300.

Any thoughts/experience would help greatly!

Mike

IMO a bigger skimmer isn't a license to over stock, or stock w/ species inappropriate for your tank size. For a 30g, I'd think any HOB would do it though I'm partial to the Octopus (not necessarily the 'super duper reef buster wallet buster') models

I didn't nesssarily find that the skimmer increased my bioload, just kep my tank cleaner than without. Plus I have alot of corals. :)

If you are religious with your water changes, don't overstock or overfeed you should be ok without a skimmer in my opinion.
Otherwise, as stated there are quite a few hang on back models to choose from, ranging from cheapo to expensive. Give aquacave.com a lookisie, they have a great selection.

I have a Prism Pro HOB skimmer that I was running on my 35 gal tank. It worked good for the price.. I dont have any experience with any of the models you mention.. I now run a Skimz E-Series SM161, took a bit to break in( almost a week before it quit releasing microbubbles into my tank) but its working awesome now...

Thanks, I guess I'm trying to plan ahead to a possible increase to a 75-90 gal upgrade down the road. Don't want to buy a small one now then change it later. Besides, I like overkill as long as there's no point of diminishing returns...

Back
Top Bottom