Skimmer issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrettyFishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a skimmer that I'm not sure if the make/model. The important issue is that the water level only gets to mid level or so. I do see gunk in the collection but I don't know how it gets there because it doesn't seem to rise up to the top unless I've turned the main tank pumps off and the sump level rises.

My thoughts are that the main skimmer pump isn't strong enough. I don't think the one in the sump is an issue because it just feeds the water.

Any thoughts?

I'm trying to avoid dropping. $200 on a reef octopus.

Another note- it's installed externally and connected with PVC not tubing.

I have a skimmer that I'm not sure if the make/model. The important issue is that the water level only gets to mid level or so. I do see gunk in the collection but I don't know how it gets there because it doesn't seem to rise up to the top unless I've turned the main tank pumps off and the sump level rises.

My thoughts are that the main skimmer pump isn't strong enough. I don't think the one in the sump is an issue because it just feeds the water.

Any thoughts?

Get the octopus lol i love em but for your issue the compartment where skimmer is located is this a constant waterlevel? Skimmers need consistant waterlevel also can you adjust water flow coming out of skimmer? Also maybe the skimmer pump needs to be lowered or raised

Can you elaborate on consistent water level? Ill check on the adjustment if there is any. Thanks!

Also, since my skimmer is external, a new skimmer means messing with my sump which may or may not be setup to fit without modification.

Can you elaborate on consistent water level? Ill check on the adjustment if there is any. Thanks!

Also, since my skimmer is external, a new skimmer means messing with my sump which may or may not be setup to fit

the waterlevel should not fluctuate in the compartment of sump where the skimmer pump is located

skimmer

Any thoughts?

It sounds like you need to lower your skimmer or raise your water level in your sump.

Back
Top Bottom