Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-17-2008, 07:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Skimmer not collecting

Its been about four months now(2 months with fish) and 3 with lr. I have a seaclone skimmer and it just doesnt collect any foam.First I tried opening the valve. Once opened and then closed a bit slowly a pure white foam mixed with water enters the collection cup. Thats not the right foam. Also while doing this tiny bubbles spew into the tank and the unit has trouble intaking the water. The only setting the skimmer seems comfortable at is when the valve is completely closed. How do I get that yellow foam to collect cause I know its been too long with no collection. Thanks.

hockeydude15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular
erm, that particular skimmer I don't have experience with but I have heard some bad things about it. My best suggestion is to google Seaclone skimmer tips or seaclone skimmer tricks, many times you'll find websites that have pics of peoples mods and fixes.

Lecithin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:19 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
I never could get the seaclone to get adjusted right while I had one. That's why I sold it and got a better skimmer. But in the mean time, only advice I can give from experience is to play around with that adjustment knob. Sometimes just the tiniest of adjustment on it can make a world of difference. Then in a few days it might stop working and you might have to adjust it again. It's really a pain.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
I agree with the above posters. Seaclones are trash. I had one when I first got into saltwater aqariums years ago and ended up dumping it for a Remora. Never looked back...

Just have to keep playing with the knob. I could never get over a 1/4 of the collection cup filled when I had my old one...
Biggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 07:56 AM   #5
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Moved to General Hardware and equipment discussion.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 01:52 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist
i'll admit its not the best skimmer or anything but I have a seaclone and its been working great for me for months. It didnt collect anything the first few days. I had to take some time and adjust the air intake. Adjust it every day or so and check the collection cup, you'll find the right setting sooner or later.
Erok7620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 01:10 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist
how do I know whether or not its having negative effects on my tank?(the fact that the skimmer isnt collecting anything)
hockeydude15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:19 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
This was the first skimmer I had before my Reef Devil. When it was hung over the back of the tank, it did nothing. I converted the skimmer to sit in my sump and it actually worked. Albeit, it's not the best skimmer on the market, but if you fidget with it enough you can probably get it working.

Salttanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:47 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought a Aquamedic Turboflotor1000 Multi I paid only 199.99 the thing collects thick black sludge that smells like someone died and rotted. I changed the collection cup daily for about 2weeks and now I change it every 4 days when it gets half full. I would definately recommend it for sure. The break in period was kinda frustating but once I figured it out I was extremely pleased.

120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com